German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know that cats and dogs are natural enemies and that Argos is only 9 weeks old and is going to chase the cat (who is used to other dogs) well because he is a puppy and wants to play.

However he is a little too rough with the cat who is by the way a 10 month old ragdoll who is well... lets say not the brightest cat. She seems to antagonize Argos by egging him on going right up to him and then running away.she is not declawed but does have soft paws on so she cannot hurt him.

He chases the cat then wrestles her to the ground where he continues to bite her and then she will get up and run and he will chase her she will hiss and growl etc... but doesn't jump up to get away in fact after I break them up she goes right back to trying to see him and then he chases her again and bites, growls and shakes....

I have so far been trying to keep the cat away from the puppy but I do want them to eventually get along so only let her up when I can supervise but every time I let her up I will hold the cat in my lap and let puppy come up to her but he bites at her, barks, growls he wants to play I think but he is too rough and I don't want to let her down in fear she will be hurt by him.

I have also tried kenneling Argos and having the cat come up to the cage but she refuses she only seems to want to see him out of the cage and he goes crazy when he sees the cat standing outside the kennel.

Is there anything else I can do I don't want to have to separate them forever. Will he ever stop chasing the cat or does he just have a really high prey drive?

·
Registered
125 Posts
The cat should be able to protect itself and set the dog straight.

But really, the only thing you can do is distract. Treats, or otherwise.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We have a ragdoll and a GSD that's just starting to exit the shark phase (hopefully).

A ragdoll won't teach your dog. They don't have quite the same self preservation instincts that ordinary cats have. You can't expect this cat to teach your puppy. You'll need to do that.

Our two are now becoming the best of friends. Mickey (the ragdoll) idolizes Seamus (GSD, obviously). They will nap curled up against each other and I'll be shocked if Mickey doesn't eventually begin to sleep on top of Seamus.

·
Registered
63 Posts
10 month old ragdoll who is well... lets say not the brightest cat.
Sounds typical. Ours has put himself in harms way with Seamus more than once but he also does things that clearly shows he is very intelligent. It's not an issue of being smart. They are genetically predisposed to trust too much.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Leash your puppy so that he can't chase after the cat. Redirect him when he gets rough and work on teaching 'gentle' .. can be used for lots of things.

I have a cat as well (Persian) and don't believe in letting them or older dogs be subjected to rough treatment. They didn't choose to have the puppy come in, I did so it's up to me to set up boundaries and to make sure everyone (not just the puppy) has a good time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I will try these things I just hope this can be corrected before he gets too big and decides to eat the cat.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree with the leash, I have two cats who have been raised around dogs all their lives. Both are dog savvy but Koda is much "smarter" then Zazu, Zazu just runs which eggs Delgado on but Koda will stand his ground.

Leash in the house and when he pays too much attention to the cats, a firm "no, leave it" and redirect. Get him used to the idea that chasing is a no no even when they're walking around the house. Catch it before it turns to chasing, too much eye contact is a dead giveaway and should be corrected.

Also make sure that the cat has lots of getaway places, the basement is gated off and one of the upstairs bedrooms is too for the cats and there are lots of places on the main level they can get away if needed in our house.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update we let the cat tell him she didn't appreciate his teething on her so we kept an eye on him while he tried to bite the cat she gave him a few good swats and he yelped and came to lay by me he now is doing much better still tries to get her here and there but she is not afraid and turns around and chases him back in turn he comes to lay beside me than after she is done putting him in his place she sprawls out on his favourite spot to lay by the back door it was kind of funny to watch how she just got mad at him and he listened lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I am glad to hear it is going well. And the puppy has learned.

But please please please do not sit there while your puppy chews on your cat! That is so unfair to your cat. The cat should not be forced to protect itself in its own home. You as the owner need to step in and protect all the animals in the house.

As a cat and multiple GSD owner, both of your posts made me cringe. Chasing and chewing on another live animal. Eeks.

Set everyone up for success. If the cat hisses and the dog does not respect it, correct and redirect him. The cat has rights as well and the puppy needs to learn boundaries.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can totally relate to this post. We have a 9 month old Bengal and a 5 month old Duck Toller... The Bengal behaves the same way as your Ragdoll (though he has all his claws and is amply able to protect himself). He comes up to our dog, sits in the middle of the room, waiting... Takes off racing, encourages races. Sometimes our pup plays nice - videos below... then she gets a little excited and cat's mouth in her head is a bit startling so we put an end to it.

Basically we have found exactly what everybody says - it takes time and patience. We do not - as often as possible - let puppy chase kitty. We redirect with treats as often as possible. Sometimes we use a squirt bottle (water/vinegar) to get puppy's attention if she is not paying attention or in the middle of a big chase, etc. We practice LEAVE IT a lot. Over the course of the last 3 months things have gotten much better, but they backslide, too, and we need to be more vigilant.

I think in the end, we'll get there, we just need patience. It IS ENDLESSLY frustrating to have that darn kitty come prancing in... but apparently he doesnt care! I'm sure he'd let her know if he did, he's a Bengal afterall (agree your Ragdoll probably needs more protection)

Here is was a couple weeks ago of good play (right where this cuts off our puppy got too excited about the kitty trying to play back with her, so we broke things up)

Here was just a couple weeks after we got our puppy:

Keep us posted!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh god reading this thread was like a day in the life of my household! Had the same issues and still sometimes do but thankfully now at 14 weeks old Xander understands "NO" or "OI" and he stops on his tracks and comes back looking sheepish. Though I do feel for him, the cat comes and bops him on the head and runs away so he just can't help himself and ends up in trouble for it. The cat has given him a good smack a couple of times which has made him think twice but he still goes back 10 minutes later!! Hoping he will grow out of it completely cos he will get sick of being told off haha!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice I don't actually let him chew the cat he just mouths her then if she makes any sort of noise I pick her up and say NO or gentle he ends up needing a time out if I cannot redirect his attention with treats for example like the other girl mentioned he is doing a lot better this week now the cat is starting to be able to walk by he still goes charging at her but she swats and hisses and then he goes back to laying down as she rules this house lol but it has gotten much better thankfully

I am glad to hear it is going well. And the puppy has learned.

But please please please do not sit there while your puppy chews on your cat! That is so unfair to your cat. The cat should not be forced to protect itself in its own home. You as the owner need to step in and protect all the animals in the house.

As a cat and multiple GSD owner, both of your posts made me cringe. Chasing and chewing on another live animal. Eeks.

Set everyone up for success. If the cat hisses and the dog does not respect it, correct and redirect him. The cat has rights as well and the puppy needs to learn boundaries.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much for the videos and the suggestions I appreciate it

I can totally relate to this post. We have a 9 month old Bengal and a 5 month old Duck Toller... The Bengal behaves the same way as your Ragdoll (though he has all his claws and is amply able to protect himself). He comes up to our dog, sits in the middle of the room, waiting... Takes off racing, encourages races. Sometimes our pup plays nice - videos below... then she gets a little excited and cat's mouth in her head is a bit startling so we put an end to it.

Basically we have found exactly what everybody says - it takes time and patience. We do not - as often as possible - let puppy chase kitty. We redirect with treats as often as possible. Sometimes we use a squirt bottle (water/vinegar) to get puppy's attention if she is not paying attention or in the middle of a big chase, etc. We practice LEAVE IT a lot. Over the course of the last 3 months things have gotten much better, but they backslide, too, and we need to be more vigilant.

I think in the end, we'll get there, we just need patience. It IS ENDLESSLY frustrating to have that darn kitty come prancing in... but apparently he doesnt care! I'm sure he'd let her know if he did, he's a Bengal afterall (agree your Ragdoll probably needs more protection)

Here is was a couple weeks ago of good play (right where this cuts off our puppy got too excited about the kitty trying to play back with her, so we broke things up)
Puppy and kitten play - YouTube

Here was just a couple weeks after we got our puppy:
Bengal Kitten & Duck Toller Puppy Playing - YouTube

Keep us posted!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks its good to know that hopefully Argos will grow out of it :) I am glad your kitten and dog are doing better.

Oh god reading this thread was like a day in the life of my household! Had the same issues and still sometimes do but thankfully now at 14 weeks old Xander understands "NO" or "OI" and he stops on his tracks and comes back looking sheepish. Though I do feel for him, the cat comes and bops him on the head and runs away so he just can't help himself and ends up in trouble for it. The cat has given him a good smack a couple of times which has made him think twice but he still goes back 10 minutes later!! Hoping he will grow out of it completely cos he will get sick of being told off haha!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta stopped trying to chase the cats after she was about a year old. She still play bounces at them and will run toward them and try to get them to play. Both of my cats are dog savvy. Titan was born into the house and raised around dogs and Faith was raised BY our dogs. Shasta has no desires to hurt the cats. She just wishes they'd play with her. Enemies they are not. Faith is 7lbs of little boss kitty and she rules the animals. She is not afraid to knock a puppy or adult dog upside their thick head to remind them to mind their manners. They get a clawless warning. They don't listen, the claws come out and a doggie nose usually ends up bleeding but they tend to back off with the warning. Faith will rub on Shasta. Titan and Shasta like to lay close to one another.

Really it just takes times and training. Discourage your pup from rough play with the cat and encourage your cat to remind the pup to respect the boundaries. They can be friends without being rough. Any rough play should be corrected by you first unless the cat beats you to the punch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts