German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this pup for about a week now and I thought he was just a picky eater but after a few days of very minimal eating I took him to the vet. The tests for parvo came up negative and they said he was dehydrated. He chowed down a can of their special food right there to my surprise (which now he won't eat at all). They also said his white blood cell count was a little high so they gave me some anti nausea medicine, anti diharrea meds (also has the squirts) and some broad spectrum antibiotic to take in case there is an infection. Still waiting to hear back about the stool sample.

The vet told us to feed him boiled chicken, boiled hamburger, baby food etc. But he is still so picky! he still only eats about once a day! it's got to the point where I've had to get some liquid food and use a syringe to inject it into his mouth... He's been on the anti-biotic for about a day now with no change. any advice or tips?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Try adding some beef tripe to his food my pup is a very picky eater as well to the point I needed to hand feed him I starting adding the tripe or frehpet vital rolls to his food now he eats every last bite and is nearly 30 pounds at 12 weeks old

http://petkind.com/gbt

( there should be a store locator on the site's)

http://freshpet.com/brand/vital/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a stool check but I'm waiting for the results. He was eating some Kirkland brand and I wanted to switch him to blue buffalo. He eats neither the food his breeder gave me or anything else. He also weighs about only 8 lbs.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Did the vet rule out giardia? The pup being dehydrated concerns me, pups can go down hill fast from dehydration.

How is his activity, energy level?

I would stick to what the vet advised for now, broiled chicken or hamburger. You can also add some cooked rice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the vet wanted the stool sample to find that out. Should hear back tomorrow on it. He's already on an antibiotic for it if it turns out he has it. Starting to think he does. His energy level isn't too bad. He's been drinking water and staying hydrated since the vet visit. How long does giardia take to go away?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Are you feeding him what that breeder did when he was young or did you change him to your food right away?

I had the same thing with my puppy and I started getting different kinds of wet foods and mixing it with water to create a gravy and mixing his hard food in it.

Also when he was younger I soaked his kibble for a couple of minutes to soften it up.

And even after 9months I have to change the wet food every can because 2 cans in a row of the same thing and he just turns his nose up at it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Though I am certainly so expert like many here, I would think that if the puppy had diarrhea when you got him, he was a sick puppy (parasites or who knows what?). However, the process of moving to a new home can stress the pup, so that can be a simple cause of the runs, as can new food changes. Or, it can be parasites still (or now).

Puppy is young. Treat the potential parasites, do the rice and chicken thing (Myah is right now, so I can totally relate!!!!) and keep her hydrated. If she stops drinking water for a half day (like 4 hrs), get back to the vet immediately. (I had a puppy once that I had to flavor the water with chicken broth so he would drink! But that puppy just had gastroenteritis, no parasite).

:hug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts