German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently got my first GSD pup. He is a pure breed both parents being over 70 lbs. he was the runt of the litter and his litter mates were also very small. I got him at 7 weeks and he weight just over 4 lbs! I was informed his litter were dewormed very late due to this pandemic. I took him to the vet, they said he slightly underweight but apart from that that he is very healthy. He has had 2 sets of vaccines and dewormed twice. I was told to increase food by 25% but he just won’t eat the puppy food I’ve tried to add meat but he still won’t pick up his food consumption. I really hope he grows to avg size and weight. I’m wondering if anybody can try and tell me what they predict with his size and maybe why he isn’t eating. Any help will be appreciated and pictures too if that helps. I just hope he will pick up in size and weight. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Pictures would likely be helpful. My first guess is that your pup is much younger than you were told, especially if all of his littermates were small too. Or, they were not at all well taken care of and now need some major catch up. Did the vet actually check a fecal sample before assuming he was healthy? Was he only wormed by the breeder? Can you be sure they aren’t lying to you? I’d be inclined to worm him again unless you yourself did it just recently. Even then, some parasites are a total pain to get rid of and require multiple rounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures would likely be helpful. My first guess is that your pup is much younger than you were told, especially if all of his littermates were small too. Or, they were not at all well taken care of and now need some major catch up. Did the vet actually check a fecal sample before assuming he was healthy? Was he only wormed by the breeder? Can you be sure they aren’t lying to you? I’d be inclined to worm him again unless you yourself did it just recently. Even then, some parasites are a total pain to get rid of and require multiple rounds.
Hi, no I’m not certain he was dewormed and I’m also not certain as to how well he was kept/treated. I dewormed him at 8 weeks when can I deworm him next? No fecal sample was taken just a general check up. How can I tell if he is younger than 9 weeks. The vet didn’t mention anything of the sorts. I’ll post a picture :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, no I’m not certain he was dewormed and I’m also not certain as to how well he was kept/treated. I dewormed him at 8 weeks when can I deworm him next? No fecal sample was taken just a general check up. How can I tell if he is younger than 9 weeks. The vet didn’t mention anything of the sorts. I’ll post a picture :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
He does look a little young, but my friend got an 8 week old that had that mousy/foxy look to her as well. She was also 8lbs at 8 weeks. She more than doubled in size since then. He could just be a smaller pup? I'd run a fecal just to be sure, though.

Reactions: Cadfael

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He does look a little young, but my friend got an 8 week old that had that mousy/foxy look to her as well. She was also 8lbs at 8 weeks. She more than doubled in size since then. He could just be a smaller pup? I'd run a fecal just to be sure, though.
He’s slowly gaining size and weight but do you think he will reach average size?

·
Registered
262 Posts
He’s slowly gaining size and weight but do you think he will reach average size?
There's absolutely no way to know at this age but don't focus just on size, focus on health and training.
He could grow in huge spurts at various levels of development or stay avg or just below but don't sweat it.

My older male is about 80 pounds and the smallest GSD I have ever owned of 6. But he's also the fastest, most agile (he did great in agility) and loyal one. I wouldn't trade anything for "bigger"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts