German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anything to do about this. Its usualy after she does something good and i am praising her for it and she gets excited and starts nipping, not hard but i just dont want her tio get in the habbit when shes bigger. I dont want to punish her also because she has just done something good. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Maybe someone with more experience with GSDs will chime in to correct me, but I think this is quite common. My girl is 14 months old, and she still gives me a "snap and kiss".. She doesn't mean to be hurtful, she's just really excited. Her breeder told me her grand dam still does this when she gets excited so I think it's just in their nature.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Have a tug or toy ready to redirect her. It's very normal. Jax is 3 and still nibbles on me when she's excited.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh, you're in for a few months of this! Read the threads on teaching bite inhibition, try everything, and it'll probably get better after teething which will be when she's about 5 mos. old.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
is there anything to do about this. Its usualy after she does something good and i am praising her for it and she gets excited and starts nipping, not hard but i just dont want her tio get in the habbit when shes bigger. I dont want to punish her also because she has just done something good. Any suggestions?
Our Baron (now 2 3/4 yo male GSD) has always been extremely "mouthy" as a puppy and even now he likes to mouth us. One thing that we did that worked the best was a loud "Ow" when he does it. Currently he will always change to licking when i say it! He has cut down quite a bit on the mouthiness and no longer tries to grab our hands as he runs by us in the yard or house.

·
Registered
819 Posts
There is an entire thread entitled Teaching Bite Inhibition dedicated to this very subject. You’ll want to read threw it. If you still have question, by all means ask away.

This same question comes up almost weekly, it seems. Maybe the mods need to come up with a better title, as it appears folks do not understand what the current title represents. Maybe the words stop nipping, biting, should be included in the title.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I dont want to punish her also because she has just done something good.
Good for you for realizing that you do NOT want to just resort to punishment.

Instead, you need to use some time of 'management' to prevent the nips. If she always goes for your face, make sure your are standing up. If it's always when you are training and praising, only train with a TOY so you can reward with that and so the biting and nipping is GOOD, just not on human flesh....:wub:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts