German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I brought home a 9 week old puppy friday named Rocco. Needless to say, I need to get some experienced opinions. First, Rocco is only eating around 2 cups of food a day, even with a little soft food mixed in (the breeder told me to do this). Is this ok? Secondly, Rocco doesn't pay attention to me at all. I know he has a mind of a baby, so I just let him wonder and work with "Rocco come" for now. Should I expect him to pay attention to me, at least for a little bit of time? He loves to play with his squeaky fox and rabbit, so he pays attention to that when playing :)

All around, he is a great dog. He follows me everywhere, and does the normal sleep, potty, eat, play rotation. I just want to know if I am expecting too much, or if he is just being a normal. Sorry for the random thoughts and questions, I am just trying to do the absolute best I can with this little guy!!!

Attachments

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
He follows you everywhere.

He doesn't pay any attention to you.

Those two statements don't add up.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
I am sorry, but your little guy is 9 weeks old. Yes, they are not like little humans, but think about what a little human does at 9 weeks. Think about what a little human does at 3-6 months.

When your little guy is full grown, he will have the emotional range of a 3-6 year old child. He has 2 years to get there.

The good news is your puppy is following you, which means he is VERY aware of you. And he is playing with toys, which means he wasn't left in a box for 9 weeks with no stimulation.

Yes, I do think you are expecting a lot from a 9-week old puppy, but that doesn't mean you cannot become more exciting to your pup. Look up clicker training. Get really, really yummy soft treats. And engage your puppy. Keep your voice happy. Make trainining fun. Keep it light and short. Make it a game. Quit when he still wants more.

Good luck.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Rocco looks like he isn't starving to death. But, what does your vet say. ASK HIM. They often will not give opinions on weight as people are ridiculously sensitive about that if it is unsolicited. Does your puppy scarf up the food and look for more, or does he leave it lay there? How often are you feeding him? What are you feeding him -- that makes a huge difference 2 cups of one type of food might equal 3 cups of another type in calorie content. It is all about the calories. And I think two cups could be just about right for a nine week old.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sorry, but your little guy is 9 weeks old. Yes, they are not like little humans, but think about what a little human does at 9 weeks. Think about what a little human does at 3-6 months.

When your little guy is full grown, he will have the emotional range of a 3-6 year old child. He has 2 years to get there.

The good news is your puppy is following you, which means he is VERY aware of you. And he is playing with toys, which means he wasn't left in a box for 9 weeks with no stimulation.

Yes, I do think you are expecting a lot from a 9-week old puppy, but that doesn't mean you cannot become more exciting to your pup. Look up clicker training. Get really, really yummy soft treats. And engage your puppy. Keep your voice happy. Make trainining fun. Keep it light and short. Make it a game. Quit when he still wants more.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply Selzer, it is greatly appreciated. I have been trying the clicker training, started charging the clicker, and earlier today he was coming a KINDA sitting!!! So you are right, I am asking for too much. Any other advice on fun things do to? He was liking chasing me with a toy and grabbing it, but we lost interest today haha.

He follows you everywhere.

He doesn't pay any attention to you.

Those two statements don't add up.
You are right, they don't add up. I guess it was more of the laying down on the long lined leash when I was telling him to come, he is usually to busy being a lawn mower in the grass.

Rocco looks like he isn't starving to death. But, what does your vet say. ASK HIM. They often will not give opinions on weight as people are ridiculously sensitive about that if it is unsolicited. Does your puppy scarf up the food and look for more, or does he leave it lay there? How often are you feeding him? What are you feeding him -- that makes a huge difference 2 cups of one type of food might equal 3 cups of another type in calorie content. It is all about the calories. And I think two cups could be just about right for a nine week old.
He is eating Eukanuba largbe breed puppy food, with about 2 table spoons of soft iams canned food. He ate half of that this morning, I am trying to feed him now for lunch, and I feed him around 5 which is when I eat dinner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and he eats about half of the 1 cup/canned soft food mix and leaves it there. I cover it up and try feeding it to him later.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
You could do better, foodwise, than Eukanuba and Iams.
Try Kirkland or Diamond Naturals or 4Health, dry and canned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could do better, foodwise, than Eukanuba and Iams.
Try Kirkland or Diamond Naturals or 4Health, dry and canned.
Ok I'll give these a shot. I am trying to find a way where I can sample some foods to see if he likes one more. But if I have to I'll buy these, I am always up for recommendations. What does everyone use for really tasty treats for their pups/dogs?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
When you try different foods you will need to slowly introduce the new food mixed in with the old or that handsome little guy of yours will probably get the runs. Since you have only had him for a few days I would not worry so much about any training and would just let the little guy get used to his new mommy or daddy. Good luck and thanks for sharing him with us. :)

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
You are right, they don't add up. I guess it was more of the laying down on the long lined leash when I was telling him to come, he is usually to busy being a lawn mower in the grass.

He is eating Eukanuba largbe breed puppy food, with about 2 table spoons of soft iams canned food. He ate half of that this morning, I am trying to feed him now for lunch, and I feed him around 5 which is when I eat dinner.
Ok, he doesn't understand come yet. If you take him out on a long line, then when he is not paying attention, dig in your pocket for a hunk of cheese or hot dog, something delectable, and pull it out, Call his name, Rocco, and show him the cheese, and say Come. As soon as he gets to you, give it to him, "Yes, Good boy, Good come." Do this four or five times a couple times a day. Don't try to put things together yet, like getting him to come, and sit in front, and then finish to your side. There is plenty of time for that. You want him to fly to you when you have a treat.

Then, when he is doing that like a Rock Star, you start shaking it up a bit, just praise this time, give him half the treat and ask him to sit for the other half. Get that sit in close so that you can handle head and collar. If he is ever lose in a dangerous place, you want him to come and sit where you can catch hold of the collar. It is fun, yes, but it is also a life-skill.

For now, COME is a single command and requires praise every single time.

If your puppy chewed up your $2500 Leather couch, and you call him to you, and he comes, PRAISE him. Yupp, that means, never, ever call the dog to you to chew him out. You need a rock solid recall, and your pup needs to know that when you come to Daddy good things happen, praise, pets, treats, play, etc.

If you see a mistake on the rug, and call him, and he comes and you chew him out, you have just undone all your good training, because now he knows that coming when called gets those bad noises.

Your pup will work for good noises. He wants you to make good noises, and pets now, he wants you to play, but he also likes treats. These are all tools.

You can teach SIT with treats, you can teach him to DOWN, also with treats. Try not to do anything more than a few times, 3-4 times, and then give it a rest. Lots of praise, treats, fun.

Dog food can get stale if left in the bowl. I would give him a few kibbles more than what I think he will eat, and put it down for 5-10 minutes, and then pick it up. Do not feed anything more until the next meal and do this for three days. He will learn to eat his food when you set it down. This is good, because the dog will be less picky.

If you put wet food in the food, leftovers must be pitched. I feed mine dry only, and will put the uneaten portion with the bowl in the food container. Or feed it to another interested party.

Eukanuba and Iams have better marketing and spend more on advertising than other companies, but I wouldn't say they have the best product out there. Dip down into the nutrition section and start reading about ingredient lists, and types of ingredients, and how to find good foods for your pup.

Some things you want to look for are meat being the first ingredient, and maybe the second too.

Meat meal means the water is removed so if that is high on the list it is actually a good thing, where as plain meat like chicken is 70% water, and when they extrude this stuff all that is sucked out, and much less meat is in the food.

Meat should be named not generic. It should say Chicken, Beef, Turkey, Chicken Meal, Lamb meal, Chicken Fat, not meat and bone meal, animal fat.

Watch for broken up grains like Brown Rice, White Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Rice protein. What they are doing when they do this, is they have to list them in order by weight, so if they put 8 # of chicken in a 40 # bag of food, and in the beginning process that is the top ingredient. But if it is followed by 7 # brown rice, 6 pounds of white rice, 5 pounds of rice flour -- etc, I think you get the picture. Add to the fact that when they extrude/cook this, and the water comes out, that 8 pounds of chicken becomes 2.4 pounds, and less than several of those initial ingredients. What you have is a food that is basically rice. And rice has little to no value for dogs, though it is more digestible than other grains.

Also, dogs don't need colors, and if there is meat, then there is probably no need for artificial flavorings, molasses, and the like.

Example, this is Eukanuba large breed puppy food (my comments in blue):
Chicken good but should be followed by chicken meal, when water is removed this will land far down the list, Corn Meal top ingredient in the food, really and many people do not like to feed dogs corn at all, it has a nasty reputation, most of it is GMO, and it has little nutritional value, though it can pork up a dog -- not good weight, Chicken By-Product Meal this is really not that bad, lots of people do not like to feed by-products, but if it is good, and has organ meat and ground bone that would be good, if it is mostly beaks and feet, well...(Natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Ground Whole Grain Sorghum don't really know what this is, Brewers Rice cheap rice filler, Dried Beet Pulp does solidify a loose stool, Chicken Flavor why? chicken should be the first ingredient, Dried Egg Product, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Meal, Potassium Chloride, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), DL-Methionine, Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Vitamin E Supplement, Marigold, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.Guaranteed Analysis Phosphorus, minimum Nutrient Analysis Crude Protein, minimum 26.0% Crude Fat, minimum 14.0% Crude Fiber, maximum 5.0 % Moisture, maximum 10.0 % Calcium, minimum 0.65% Phosphorus, minimum 0.55% Vitamin E, minimum 140 IU/kg Docosahexaenoic Acid, minimum 0.1%* Omega-6 Fatty Acids, minimum 1.93%* Omega-3 Fatty Acids, minimum 0.39%* Glucosamine, minimum 375 mg/kg* Chondroitin Sulfate, minimum 35 mg/kg* *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by
the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Animal feeding tests using Association of American Feed Control Officials procedures substantiate that Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for Growth.

Calories: kcal ME/cup 337.76

It is not terrible, but it isn't wonderful. You are paying for the name.

Here is Diamond Naturals large breed puppy -- a mid range food:

Protein: 27% Fat: 15%
Calories: 3,656 kcal/kg (342 kcal/cup) Calculated ME
Sizes Available: 6 lb., 20 lb., 40 lb.Ingredients

Lamb animal protein, lamb meal animal protein, egg product animal protein, cracked pearled barley, millet, ground rice, pea protein, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, potatoes, tomato pomace, flaxseed, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, dried kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

At tractor supply Eukanuba Large breed puppy is $36.99 for 33 pounds.
At tractor supply Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy is $33.99 for 40 pounds.

If you put up a poll here and list the ingredients, I think most people would pick Diamond Naturals over Eukanuba without knowing that the Eukanuba is $3 more for 7 pounds less food. The difference of course is that you will not see a commercial on TV for Diamond Naturals.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, he doesn't understand come yet. If you take him out on a long line, then when he is not paying attention, dig in your pocket for a hunk of cheese or hot dog, something delectable, and pull it out, Call his name, Rocco, and show him the cheese, and say Come. As soon as he gets to you, give it to him, "Yes, Good boy, Good come." Do this four or five times a couple times a day. Don't try to put things together yet, like getting him to come, and sit in front, and then finish to your side. There is plenty of time for that. You want him to fly to you when you have a treat.

Then, when he is doing that like a Rock Star, you start shaking it up a bit, just praise this time, give him half the treat and ask him to sit for the other half. Get that sit in close so that you can handle head and collar. If he is ever lose in a dangerous place, you want him to come and sit where you can catch hold of the collar. It is fun, yes, but it is also a life-skill.

For now, COME is a single command and requires praise every single time.

If your puppy chewed up your $2500 Leather couch, and you call him to you, and he comes, PRAISE him. Yupp, that means, never, ever call the dog to you to chew him out. You need a rock solid recall, and your pup needs to know that when you come to Daddy good things happen, praise, pets, treats, play, etc.

If you see a mistake on the rug, and call him, and he comes and you chew him out, you have just undone all your good training, because now he knows that coming when called gets those bad noises.

Your pup will work for good noises. He wants you to make good noises, and pets now, he wants you to play, but he also likes treats. These are all tools.

You can teach SIT with treats, you can teach him to DOWN, also with treats. Try not to do anything more than a few times, 3-4 times, and then give it a rest. Lots of praise, treats, fun.

Dog food can get stale if left in the bowl. I would give him a few kibbles more than what I think he will eat, and put it down for 5-10 minutes, and then pick it up. Do not feed anything more until the next meal and do this for three days. He will learn to eat his food when you set it down. This is good, because the dog will be less picky.

If you put wet food in the food, leftovers must be pitched. I feed mine dry only, and will put the uneaten portion with the bowl in the food container. Or feed it to another interested party.

Eukanuba and Iams have better marketing and spend more on advertising than other companies, but I wouldn't say they have the best product out there. Dip down into the nutrition section and start reading about ingredient lists, and types of ingredients, and how to find good foods for your pup.

Some things you want to look for are meat being the first ingredient, and maybe the second too.

Meat meal means the water is removed so if that is high on the list it is actually a good thing, where as plain meat like chicken is 70% water, and when they extrude this stuff all that is sucked out, and much less meat is in the food.

Meat should be named not generic. It should say Chicken, Beef, Turkey, Chicken Meal, Lamb meal, Chicken Fat, not meat and bone meal, animal fat.

Watch for broken up grains like Brown Rice, White Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Rice protein. What they are doing when they do this, is they have to list them in order by weight, so if they put 8 # of chicken in a 40 # bag of food, and in the beginning process that is the top ingredient. But if it is followed by 7 # brown rice, 6 pounds of white rice, 5 pounds of rice flour -- etc, I think you get the picture. Add to the fact that when they extrude/cook this, and the water comes out, that 8 pounds of chicken becomes 2.4 pounds, and less than several of those initial ingredients. What you have is a food that is basically rice. And rice has little to no value for dogs, though it is more digestible than other grains.

Also, dogs don't need colors, and if there is meat, then there is probably no need for artificial flavorings, molasses, and the like.

Example, this is Eukanuba large breed puppy food (my comments in blue):
Chicken good but should be followed by chicken meal, when water is removed this will land far down the list, Corn Meal top ingredient in the food, really and many people do not like to feed dogs corn at all, it has a nasty reputation, most of it is GMO, and it has little nutritional value, though it can pork up a dog -- not good weight, Chicken By-Product Meal this is really not that bad, lots of people do not like to feed by-products, but if it is good, and has organ meat and ground bone that would be good, if it is mostly beaks and feet, well...(Natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Ground Whole Grain Sorghum don't really know what this is, Brewers Rice cheap rice filler, Dried Beet Pulp does solidify a loose stool, Chicken Flavor why? chicken should be the first ingredient, Dried Egg Product, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Meal, Potassium Chloride, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), DL-Methionine, Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Vitamin E Supplement, Marigold, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.Guaranteed Analysis Phosphorus, minimum Nutrient Analysis Crude Protein, minimum 26.0% Crude Fat, minimum 14.0% Crude Fiber, maximum 5.0 % Moisture, maximum 10.0 % Calcium, minimum 0.65% Phosphorus, minimum 0.55% Vitamin E, minimum 140 IU/kg Docosahexaenoic Acid, minimum 0.1%* Omega-6 Fatty Acids, minimum 1.93%* Omega-3 Fatty Acids, minimum 0.39%* Glucosamine, minimum 375 mg/kg* Chondroitin Sulfate, minimum 35 mg/kg* *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by
the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Animal feeding tests using Association of American Feed Control Officials procedures substantiate that Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for Growth.

Calories: kcal ME/cup 337.76

It is not terrible, but it isn't wonderful. You are paying for the name.

Here is Diamond Naturals large breed puppy -- a mid range food:

Protein: 27% Fat: 15%
Calories: 3,656 kcal/kg (342 kcal/cup) Calculated ME
Sizes Available: 6 lb., 20 lb., 40 lb.Ingredients

Lamb animal protein, lamb meal animal protein, egg product animal protein, cracked pearled barley, millet, ground rice, pea protein, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, potatoes, tomato pomace, flaxseed, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, dried kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

At tractor supply Eukanuba Large breed puppy is $36.99 for 33 pounds.
At tractor supply Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy is $33.99 for 40 pounds.

If you put up a poll here and list the ingredients, I think most people would pick Diamond Naturals over Eukanuba without knowing that the Eukanuba is $3 more for 7 pounds less food. The difference of course is that you will not see a commercial on TV for Diamond Naturals.
Ok ill give this a shot, I never thought of using hot dogs. Thanks for all the information, I will look for these details in ingredients when checking new food. Does anyone have any opinions on Orijen Large Breed puppy? I was thinking about giving that a shot, possibly going to pick some up today. Or is Diamond Naturals the way to go for most people/pups?

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Orijen is better quality and it is made by a better company.

I feed Diamond Naturals and my dogs are doing very well on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you try different foods you will need to slowly introduce the new food mixed in with the old or that handsome little guy of yours will probably get the runs. Since you have only had him for a few days I would not worry so much about any training and would just let the little guy get used to his new mommy or daddy. Good luck and thanks for sharing him with us. :)
Thanks, I will definitely do this when I try the switch. I keep training down to 5 minutes, and thats even if he is in the mood. I like to just watch him wonder and see when he is about to get into trouble. So far its trying to eat rocks in the backyard, and eating dirt. He is a curious little guy, but full of energy.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Oh and be careful how many hot dogs you use. I use an all-chicken hot dog. But hot dogs, well, a lot of people don't like to give them to dogs either, probably high fructose corn syrup, but I have never had any problems using hot dogs.

If they are too wet for the pocket, you can cut a dog into about 32 pieces and put it on a paper plate in the microwave. and cook them good. Dogs love them.

Cheese is an excellent treat, again, though can get slimy in the pocket.

Freeze Dried 100% liver -- awsome treat and will not mess up the pockets.

Zukes Mini-naturals -- a good treat with excellent size. Not as exciting to the dog as hot dogs though.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Hey everyone,

I brought home a 9 week old puppy friday named Rocco. Needless to say, I need to get some experienced opinions. First, Rocco is only eating around 2 cups of food a day, even with a little soft food mixed in (the breeder told me to do this). Is this ok? Secondly, Rocco doesn't pay attention to me at all. I know he has a mind of a baby, so I just let him wonder and work with "Rocco come" for now. Should I expect him to pay attention to me, at least for a little bit of time? He loves to play with his squeaky fox and rabbit, so he pays attention to that when playing :)

All around, he is a great dog. He follows me everywhere, and does the normal sleep, potty, eat, play rotation. I just want to know if I am expecting too much, or if he is just being a normal. Sorry for the random thoughts and questions, I am just trying to do the absolute best I can with this little guy!!!
Your pups sounds like a normal tiny baby to me. Diet and behaviorwise.

Just love him, play with him, start on the crate training/housebreaking.

And really read up on all the fantastic information found on (click --> Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums )

:paw:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts