German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I picked up a 9 week old puppy 2 days ago. The puppy seems to hate the crate even if I put some food inside, some toys and slowly ease it into the crate, when I try to close the door it runs out. Also if I'm in the room and the puppy is in the crate, it doesn't whine or bark. But if I'm just running errands around the house and not in the same room as the puppy it whines loudly and barks. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to make the puppy at ease when im not directly around it. Do I just ignore the dog while I'm running errands around the house?

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is all completely normal for crate training. Some dogs take a long time to get used to a crate, even with all the fun stuff inside of it.
He is young, with time he will get used to it. Just keep to the same schedule and be consistent.

Try covering the crate with a sheet or light blanket, the dark may make it more cozy for him. If the dog can see you also it will start the excitement all over again.
Just make sure the dog has gone potty and is safe in the crate, don't leave the puppy in the crate for to long without giving it potty breaks. Otherwise yes, allow him to cry it out till he gets used to it.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Yes. With each of my dogs I have now, a rescue puppy and a purebred from a breeder, I left them in the crate and went in and out of the room 100 times. Leave them for a few seconds, and walk back into the room, don’t talk or look at the puppy. Leave again and return. I literally spent about an hour each time walking in and out of the room. Being to lengthen the time. After several days the dog was quiet in the crate. Give your puppy some safe toys, a spill proof water dish and your dog will learn to love the crate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts