German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I always thought gsd's were aloof but my boy goes out his way to meet anyone no matter what there doing,will this change when he gets older?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Most change, some dont, but its normal for a puppy.. my last GSD was aloof from the day I brought her home at 10 weeks... my new GSD is now 5 months old and is showing no signs that she is going to stop going up to strangers to say hello

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
A friendly, outgoing pup is a GOOD thing. Don't dare try to keep him from being "too friendly". :) At this age, he should consider everyone his friend and the world should be a wonderful place. Far too many GSDs exhibit the opposite behavior--frightened and skittish around new people, dogs and situations. You should be happy that you have such a confident, happy pup!

As he matures, you may find that this friendly nature remains, or you may find that he becomes more aloof toward strangers. Either way, don't try to make him distrust people. In most cases, even a friendly GSD will notice a "bad" person and his behavior will let you when someone is not to be trusted. It takes a while for pups to learn this kind of discernment, so be patient.

In the meantime, keep socializing and let him meet all different kinds of people... men, women, children, old people with canes and walkers, people with umbrellas, people wearing hats, big tall people, disabled people, and people of different ethnicities. The more people he meets, the better his discernment will be in the future.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
A friendly, outgoing pup is a GOOD thing. Don't dare try to keep him from being "too friendly". :) At this age, he should consider everyone his friend and the world should be a wonderful place. Far too many GSDs exhibit the opposite behavior--frightened and skittish around new people, dogs and situations. You should be happy that you have such a confident, happy pup!

As he matures, you may find that this friendly nature remains, or you may find that he becomes more aloof toward strangers. Either way, don't try to make him distrust people. In most cases, even a friendly GSD will notice a "bad" person and his behavior will let you when someone is not to be trusted. It takes a while for pups to learn this kind of discernment, so be patient.

In the meantime, keep socializing and let him meet all different kinds of people... men, women, children, old people with canes and walkers, people with umbrellas, people wearing hats, big tall people, disabled people, and people of different ethnicities. The more people he meets, the better his discernment will be in the future.
I couldn't have said it any better.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Jack is 18 months old and still lunges towards everyone because he is sure they are his new best friend. People and dogs alike, it makes no difference to him. That said, right before Christmas I was at a local park for a run, it was late, 3:30 or 4ish so dusk here in NJ. I jog the trails of this park 3 times a week but I don't always take Jack. I had him with me this time because it was so close to dark, anyway on the way down the trail we passed an old guy I had never seen before but he had a "creeper" feel about him. we went passed him and continued around the 2 mile trail and on the way back the guy was standing in the middle of the trail in the distance just watching me. Jack noticed and his hackles went up and he started barking and growling and making threatening noises that I didn't even know he was capable of. It was unsettling to see my boy so upset and scary but I took my clue and we turned around and went the other way.
As I turned around and started moving in the other direction I commanded Jack to "leave it" but he was still growling and barking towards the old man. I had to stop running and drag the dog away and redirect his attention. It was so unexpected and I have never seen him behave that way before or since. He still is a big dopey boy who loves all people and animals but I will definitely trust his instinct in the future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank all of you guys for your responses,just an FYI for everyone it's not a problem that he's so friendly,I just find it crazy that he's so young and like that.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta will turn 3 next month and she's still pretty friendly. She doesn't seek people out constantly unless she knows them but she's definitely more aloof this last year. She was a ridiculously friendly puppy. You never know. Some grow out of it and some don't. Night before last we were at a softball game watching a friends team play. Everyone kept coming over to love on Shasta and say hi and she'd politely say hi and then ignore them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Kylie is 9 months old and still friendly and outgoing with people and dogs and cats (although she wants to kill all the squirrels) and I'm working with her to keep her that way.

When we did puppy class, the trainers said she would be a good candidate for a therapy dog.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That was my Brandy. People told me that she'll never continue that way but she did up until the day she passed. She was friendly in the extreme. Every adult she met, she loved and squeeled with excitement to greet people and lick their faces clean...I had to keep her held back until she settled down. She even ran and jumped in the mail truck one day! Enjoy it as it is great, at least in my opinion, to have such a wonderful friendly dog. Mine still guarded the yard and house with ferocity but was a marshmallow in greeting and loving on people! I loved her so much because of it. Enjoy it!! She's a keeper!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Sounds like you have a really good pup, seriously.

I love social puppies. When my boy was a pup he turned into a little wiggle worm when he met a stranger, the world around him made him happy, very curious little guy.

At 3 years old he's aloof, but still very approachable. He won't solicit attention from strangers or really guests at our home but doesn't mind to be petted. On rare occasion will even lay down for a belly rub:)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
sounds like your pup has strong nerves. let your pup be
a pup. he may change with age. you can always train
him to be the type of dog you want.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
My pup is getting ready to turn 8 months old and he is STILL like this, he loves everybody and always has since I started socializing him at 8 weeks old. The worst thing you could do would be to keep him from meeting and socializing him with people. I think this is pretty normal behavior for a puppy, breed traits tend not to start showing until they are older and dogs are individuals so this can happen at different times. My pup may never become aloof or he might just be a late bloomer in that area, I'm ok either way!

You'd be surprised how many people I meet who are shocked by how well mannered and friendly he is for a GSD. :)

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Thank all of you guys for your responses,just an FYI for everyone it's not a problem that he's so friendly,I just find it crazy that he's so young and like that.
Guess we are just saying we think you got a great NORMAL wonderful puppy. Frankly, I'd never take on a puppy unless it was exactly how you described.

A happy outgoing puppy will be a confident well adjusted dog as long as you continue to socialize and have appropriate training take place down the line.

You able to find any good puppy classes? Great way to start up training appropriately while continuing socialization in a safe setting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts