German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm brand new to this site with a new puppy question. Our 9week old puppy just loves to bite, especially when walking alongside us @ our ankles. Any suggestions?:cry:

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Redirect his biting you with a toy and get ready for 6 months of biting. He is a dog and that is what comes natural to them do not tap on his noise or do anything in a physical correction just say OUCH or NO and redirect him.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Wait a year...

Seriously, it's completely normal and honestly it will probably get worse until the pup is through teething. There are lots of threads on teaching bite inhibition, you'll have to look them up. Try every suggestion, be patient and hang in there, it does get better. Congrats on the new pup!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Redirect, redirect, redirect with toys. Other than that, from what I've learned this is typical GSD puppy behavior. That's why they're referred to as "land sharks", lol. Btw, they do grow out of it. You'll just have some nice trophies on your legs and arms for awhile. :)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Please use the search tool up top and check out bite inhibition... there is a sticky on it with thousands of great posts. There is a ton of wonderful information if you search for it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It's true what they've all said. My pup is 11.5 weeks old and my best advice is to keep things handy to stuff in his mouth (redirect) like bones and toys ... to a puppy though, you are the biggest and best toy he has!
There's quite a bit on the board here about 'bite inhibition' ... I dont know how to post links to it, but if you go to the puppy section, you can find the info there.

I'm told they DO grow out of it ... I'll share my bandaids with you!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts