German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just brought home our new puppy a week ago. He is very smart and has nerves of steel. In one week he knows his name, sit, come, no and will use the doggy door sometimes by his self to go potty. He will walk on a leash (still pulls). We've made two socialization visits to Petsmart and he approached any human who showed him interest and enjoyed the petting and although he is still quite nippy, he only licked all strangers.

My problem is his interaction with my 17 month old 11 pound male Miniature Pinscher. He sort of stalks him like a cat and attacks his neck, rear legs or genitals. My Min Pin will play until he is overwhelmed and then run. My GSD will also try to mount the Min Pin. This has been the interaction from day one (8 weeks old) for about a week and a half now. When I break it up and say "No" the GSD will just stare at him and bark for a while, then go lay down.

Should I be as worried as I am? I find this VERY stressful.

Please give me as much feedback as possible, especially if you have had to deal with this. I have an appointment next week for his 10 week shots and them we will begin obedience classes.

Thanks
Curtis

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have a 12 week old puppy, a 13 year old shih tzu and a 2 year old persian cat. One phrase we are learning is "leave it" and it does work ... some times. My other pets don't want any play time so for me it's more cut and dried. I always redirect, call the puppy if he gets in their space. If he refuses to leave them alone, the baby gate or the leash goes into action. Many times I have the puppy baby gated into our den and let the other pets have some peace and the run of the rest of the house while I interact with the puppy in the den.

I would keep your puppy leashed around your other dog so that you can prevent the stalking/leaping until he learns more control. I figure it's painful for my old dog to have this puppy that already is twice his weight swatting and jumping at him.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have a 5 month old malevGSD puppy, 13 year female shih tzu and 5 yr old neutered male maltipoo. Yes the puppy still bothers the maltipoo, playfully.
He doesnt mess with the shih tzu, she is crabby now that shes getting old and let him have it one day. meaning lots of gums, because if anyone has a shih tzu knows how small their teeth are..lol. But he doesnt mess with her anymore.

My gsd puppy bites at the neck and legs of the maltipoo and visa versa (open mouth) now that hes older. I still tell him gentle to remind him to play gently. because GSDs can play rough. If I see it getting a little rough I separate them for a few minutes.

Your puppy is still young and hasnt learned bite inhibition yet. tell him ah ah if hes bothering the older dog and redirect his play, if the older dogs seems bothered.

As for the mounting my gsd puppy also mounted my maltipoo. Started around the same age. Now the maltipoo is submissive to the gsd and rolls on his tummy and licks the gsd in the face all the time. At 5 months I believe my gsd is dominant over the 5 yr old maltipoo but not the shih tzu.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
come on, you have a 9 week old pup. your pup doesn't have a problem.
not knowing puppy behaviour maybe a problem but that's your problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
come on, you have a 9 week old pup. your pup doesn't have a problem.
not knowing puppy behaviour maybe a problem but that's your problem.
I didn't realize that it is acceptable to use this forum to treat people like they are idiots. If all you can do is be sarcastic, then please don't comment. There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
that's obvious. i wasn't treating anyone like an idiot nor was i being scarcastic. people can post whatever they like. you have no contro; over what people post.

I didn't realize that it is acceptable to use this forum to treat people like they are idiots. If all you can do is be sarcastic, then please don't comment.

>>>>There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.<<<<

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a 14 mo girl, and a 9 month old boy. Each came home at 8 weeks from different breeders.
When he first came home he bit her ankles non stop hard--never us! Still does when he wants to get her to play...she bit ours non stop..
He is still in tact we are waiting until he is a little older-- he'll try to hump her but she'll push him off sometimes she gets mad.. I wouldn't worry about your little guy it's normal ( or so I think)
They are just very active- let him run, run and run some more.
Tired puppies are good puppies. Haha
Enjoy him he sounds very smart, but then again aren't they all ..lol.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. I am about 3 weeks in and am see some improvement. Empire still likes to stalk and pounce Roman, but he will back off most of the time if I say "be nice".

Roman is not innocent! Now that I am learning about dog behavior and body language, I can see that the Min Pin wants to be dominant, but is more fearful.
If the puppy is laying down minding his manners, Roman will puff his chest out, stand tall and try to stand over Empire. When Empire goes to the bathroom, Roman will either pee over it or scratch the ground over it. But as soon as Empire wants to engage, the Min Pin tucks and runs.

There are brief moment that shine bright, such as when one just wakes up and licks the other's face. Or when one is tired and goes and lays with the other. There is no doubt in my mind which one is truly dominant. I just hope he will grow up benevolent.

We are off to a good start and I'm still in disbelief about how confident and smart my guy is.

I will keep this thread updated.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
It is typical for a young GSD, who is a newcomer, an intruder on a territory of anothersmaller house dog or a house cat to bully the host. They could become too hot, too much engaged in their own game with a smaller friend. Tell him "No" gently, if he doesn't listen - take him by withers with one hand and at his spine where skin could be pulled up easily, and shake him lightly without causing pain. Repeat your command. Ask him to hold on and lie down in the middle of his game until he calms down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts