German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am completely new to this forum and the whole GSD thing in general. I rescued a gsd/lab mix from a local animal control facility:) She is either completely sweet or in all out attack mode. I have only ever owned cocker spaniels in my life, so this is totally different!!! Can anyone help me understand this breed and what tactics work best? I know they love to work- is there a particular job I can give her to make her feel useful? And how much exercise/ stimulation should she be getting at 9 weeks? Last night she was a nightmare for an hour before she went to sleep. Growling, biting, and needless to say I have plenty of wounds:/ Then we woke up today and it was round two...and now she is asleep again! I'm pretty sure there is a link to the fatigue and terrible biting, but I would love some feedback!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome to the GS world!!! Yes, the puppies are land sharks at this point. Knowing that I wonder that so many of them survived to the adulthood (this is a joke of course). My pure bread rescue puppy was so "viscious" that I couldn't even approach her and my legs were bruised and bloody. I couldn't pet or kiss her. If I wasn't such a dog lover and a volunteer for the rescue, I would have probably given her up (although I never gave up a dog even an aggressive one). I was afraid that she would never get along with my other two dogs and that would be unfair to them. Now, my "puppy" is two years old and she is a sweetheart. She would never think of biting anybody and is at the bottom of the pack (which includes the kitty too).
My advise to you is: be patient, teach her "no bite" (you make the high pitched noise and say NO, and stop playing with her). German Shepherds are particularly mouthy, because they are herding dogs, but it's up to you to give your dog proper guidance and training. Please, don't correct her too harshly, she might become fearful. And last but not least: socialize her with people and other dogs, take her places when she is small and cute and open to new learning experiences. You will be glad later that you did. Provide her with enough excersize which she needs to unload her GSD-Lab energy.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
So I am completely new to this forum and the whole GSD thing in general. I rescued a gsd/lab mix from a local animal control facility:) She is either completely sweet or in all out attack mode. I have only ever owned cocker spaniels in my life, so this is totally different!!! Can anyone help me understand this breed and what tactics work best? I know they love to work- is there a particular job I can give her to make her feel useful? And how much exercise/ stimulation should she be getting at 9 weeks? Last night she was a nightmare for an hour before she went to sleep. Growling, biting, and needless to say I have plenty of wounds:/ Then we woke up today and it was round two...and now she is asleep again! I'm pretty sure there is a link to the fatigue and terrible biting, but I would love some feedback!!! Thanks!
Welcome to this forum. I feel your pain ( no pun intended). My Maggie is 7 months old and still does all this everyday. She keeps me and my wife on our feet most of the days. All I can is keep plenty of toys handy. I put my dog in the cage when she does something really bad. Like digging holes in the yard and getting covered in dirt and mud. But she is learning more everyday. I try to walk her at least twice daily and calms her down a bit. Good luck. Do you have any pictures to share?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
252 Posts
Haha. The teething! Just replace your ankle with a toy - every time
Seems like it will never end, but it does.
Remember a tired puppy is a good puppy! They need lots of exercise
Enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the forum ,congratulations on your new pup. I know all to well, what you are going through because I myself have a 15 week old but I do also have a 3 yr old so I do I know this stage is only temporary and can see the light at the end of the tunnel lol. My 3 yr old is the biggest sweetheart she's kind and gentle and most importantly patient, I have 3 kids and she would never hurt them intentionally but on accident yea she's a bit clumsy and will step on your toes :D

When my boy starts nipping and it's mostly when he gets over excited while playing I redirect him with a toy like his rope or Teddy bear etc, and so no bite. This will normally stop him but if continues to misbehave and will not listen he gets a time out in his crate.

Also when he bites I say easy and say no and then when he licks I say good boy kisses, I have three kids so I have to nip the biting and acting like a wild man early..

Best of luck :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
The best tactic I have found is wait a few months and invest in some alcohol for cleaning the cuts you will have all over your hands from baby teeth :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your support!! Today was a little better... Tried some different training techniques and Romy went for 2 walks and a swim in her kiddie pool:) ...yes, sad to say she's got her own pool!!! But it definitely helps to know that this too shall pass! I'm just a little worried I won't train her right because she's my first gsd/lab!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Correct and redirect. Your puppy is biting out of prey drive not aggression. You don't want the puppy biting your limbs? Show it that there are other things like toys that are more fun to go after. Correct the dog for taking a shot at you and immediately present a toy of some sort for the dog to go after instead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts