German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ozzy goes out for his last pee at midnight put him in wire crate, latched both latches we go to bed. He is screaming and can hear he is biting the crate wire, scratching at the plastic bottom for like 30 min, all got quiet, alarm set for 3a he is still quiet so we let him be. alarm goes off at 4a. BF gets up goes to crate to let him out and no puppy. The top latch was locked, bottom was not. The little stinker squeezed his way out. He was found curled up on his bed in the living room. No accidents seen but very grateful he did not get hurt so he will be transferred to the airline crate today. Much safer for him. Ive never had a 9 week old do this let alone an adult. Wonder if a steel crate is in his future.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When our Zeus was 3 mos old he got out of his crate while I was in the shower. My daughter yells up the stair that I forgot to put him in his crate LOL. You may have to get a clip for it at the hardware store. We bought a new crate. The one he got out of was the kind you just lift and he figured it out. The new one has 2 latches and he did figure out how to undo the bottom one but only did it a few times and didn’t try to escape.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I won’t get another wire crate, can’t risk injury and lucky he did not get hurt squeezing through. We already have a heavy duty airline crate and he will be much safer in there but thanks for letting he input

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Congrats on a smart pup. I have a similar type in Griff. Best thing is to put that new (airline) crate in your bedroom. I have Griff in an airline crate and he does well. Tried to transition him under supervision into a wire crate yesterday but I think he is my first dog ever not to be safe in there. They have to be fully trustworthy in one or else it is a plain danger to them. The wire is flimsy and won't hold up against teeth as they can puncture or lacerate the dog. They also can get their feet/pads stuck.
All my pups so far have started out in an airline crate until trusted with a wire crate until I experienced Griff.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wolfy dog......thanks Ozzy is very smart and determined for his age. Took down the wire crate and he Is much better in airline crate. He is not in our bedroom but dining room and while he screams it’s for a short time. I’ve always used wire crates with pups with no issues, then transition to airline crate but Ozzy is Ozzy and really enjoys the security of the airline crate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts