German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 9 week old GSD for about 2 weeks. He is usually very calm, sweet, and loving. A couple of times a day, he goes into this phase of non-stop biting any human around him. At first I could handle the biting, but it is becoming unbearable. He is leaving deep scratches and marks all over my arms and legs. This phase of biting usually lasts around 5-10 minutes. Sometimes I literally can't do anything or get him off of me because he is biting so hard. Tonight for the first time, he started growling while biting me. I am worried he is becoming more aggressive, when before I could tell he was just playing too hard.

I have tried mimicking other puppies and saying "ouch", positive reinforcement by giving treats when he stops biting, and tried redirecting to many different kinds of toys. None of this has improved his biting. I know it will take some time to train him, but I do not know how much longer myself and others in his life can take this hard biting.

I plan on taking him to training classes once he is old enough and gets all of his shots, but that will not be for a few more weeks at least. I do not want to just put him in the crate when he starts biting, because I do not want him to feel punished.

We have been crate training him and he does really well. He goes outside at least every 2 hours and sometimes more. He plays a lot and gets a lot of exercise. He eats 3 times a day. Any advice on how to atleast make the biting more gentle would be SO appreciated.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My girl isn't super nippy.

I divide her biting into 2 categories:
1. We are roughhousing and she nips, then that's on me.
2. If I'm petting her and she nips, I will wrap my hand around her muzzle firmly so she can't open her mouth (but no squeezing) and say "no biting". Then I use my other hand to stroke the side of her face and say "gently". She whines and usually stops nipping or if she nips again, it won't be so hard. I use gently other times, too, but I'm not sure she gets it.

There's lots of discussion on this in the puppy forum also.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi, I feel the same about my pup sometimes. She is also 9 weeks and insanely mouthy. There will be a lot more knowledgeable people out there but here's what I've learned;

1. The first week I let her mouth my hands. She learned OK how hard is too hard when I yelped and stopped giving her attention. Sometimes she can still go hard but its 80% better.

2. Have toys everywhere in the house. I also keep a rag/empty toilet roll tube in my pocket at all times. When she starts biting stick those in the mouth. I also always make sure if I am wanting to pet her I have something in her mouth. I also avoid petting her head (unless she's sleepy) cause she can't resist dangling fingers. My girl loves belly rubs so I just put a toy in her mouth to chomp and rub the belly. If she starts to get my hands I stop, put the toy back in and start again. She loves this.

3. She gets carried away sometimes and has no interest in toys, only playing with me (biting me, and shaking her head like I'm a toy, her teeth have left marks on my skin but never any blood). I have to try and get away from her so she can be left a minute by herself. Often I yell NO! at her and try to leave. For me its the most challenging time. She also is becoming more vocal during this time, when I yell NO! she often starts barking at me. Its not cute. Sounds similar to your boy.

Don't despair! I feel very frustrated in a 'What the **** am I doing?!' on a daily basis. But just keep reminding yourself your pup is a baby, what he's doing is normal to him and he's only just joined your family. It takes time to learn the human rules. Have patience and I am sure both our pups will outgrow these hard times. I am sure we will look back on the puppy stages with fond memories lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
Please don't mistake the biting/growling with aggression, your puppy is just trying to play with you. It's not what you want to hear, but things will get worse before they get better. However, by August, you will probably notice that things are MUCH improved.

Also, when your puppy bites you, just remember that it is a good thing. By the puppy biting you, it gives you an opportunity to train it to be gentle. It's just unfortunate that their teeth are razor sharp. :)

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I've had my 9 week old GSD for about 2 weeks. He is usually very calm, sweet, and loving. A couple of times a day, he goes into this phase of non-stop biting any human around him. At first I could handle the biting, but it is becoming unbearable. He is leaving deep scratches and marks all over my arms and legs. This phase of biting usually lasts around 5-10 minutes. Sometimes I literally can't do anything or get him off of me because he is biting so hard. Tonight for the first time, he started growling while biting me. I am worried he is becoming more aggressive, when before I could tell he was just playing too hard.

I have tried mimicking other puppies and saying "ouch", positive reinforcement by giving treats when he stops biting, and tried redirecting to many different kinds of toys. None of this has improved his biting. I know it will take some time to train him, but I do not know how much longer myself and others in his life can take this hard biting.

I plan on taking him to training classes once he is old enough and gets all of his shots, but that will not be for a few more weeks at least. I do not want to just put him in the crate when he starts biting, because I do not want him to feel punished.

We have been crate training him and he does really well. He goes outside at least every 2 hours and sometimes more. He plays a lot and gets a lot of exercise. He eats 3 times a day. Any advice on how to atleast make the biting more gentle would be SO appreciated.
Puppies bite. Until I joined this forum I thought everyone knew that.
The ouch thing does not work. In most puppies of many breeds it makes it worse.
It takes much longer then a few days to stop this behaviour. Redirection works. Stick to it.
Specifically what you described sounds like over stimulated and over tired. Puppies need naps. When this behaviour starts it's time to go in the crate for a while.
Remember always that puppies learn what they live. You will never teach gentle by being rough. They grow out of this. Trust me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts