German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my boy tyson will be 9 months this month and when he gets excited while playing he likes to mouth. its getting kinda frustrateing and im trying to figure out if this is abnormal or normal. he's a lot better than what he was when he was 6 months, back then i could hardly sit without feeling teeth on my legs.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Well, that depends. When you say "still mouthy," has he significantly improved? If not, that's not normal and you need to ramp up your efforts. This thread has some suggestions how to address that.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...true#Post765997

But if his mouthiness is diminishing over time (which is what you seem to be saying), and you're continuing to work on it and see progress, then yeah, it's normal. GSDs are mouthy dogs. Your pup is still a pup. Keep working. Keep being consistent. Consistency is your best friend. If you're doing everything right, you can still see some mouthiness here and there up until about 20, even 24 months. It slowly ebbs and flows until one day you realize, gosh, he doesn't do that anymore. Then he gets frustrated (or scared)one day, and he latches on to your hand or wrist. But then it's gone again for months. It's a process like almost everything else we do with our dogs.

Baby steps.

Keep going.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
9 months, yes they'll still mouth. my boy is 14 months and every now and then he'll grab or mouth some part of us. don't be frustrated. teach him not to do it and at some point he'll stop. i don't know if we teach them not to do it or do they just stop. i think they just stop. LoL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts