German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clyde is 9 months and our training classes have stopped due to COVID. Still trying to practice a bit but I've noticed he's pacing rather than gaiting. Tried speeding up, slowing down... but he still wants to move like a giraffe!

Any ideas of how to change this before we can actually have shows again? (Picture taken today, to get your attention ;-))

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
My handler, when she moves out with Scarlet, pulls straight up on the lead as they take that first step, and it seems to do the trick. With Scarlet, pacing is just laziness.

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
Also watch this Eric Salas video on YouTube

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also watch this Eric Salas video on YouTube

Thank you so much.. both your posts are really helpful. Will be trying this tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
You can also do a small circle and then take off. Lots of things to try!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can also do a small circle and then take off. Lots of things to try!
Will try that! I'm working on "perch" with him too as he doesn't know he has back legs yet ;-)

Reactions: dogfaeries

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Clyde is 9 months and our training classes have stopped due to COVID. Still trying to practice a bit but I've noticed he's pacing rather than gaiting. Tried speeding up, slowing down... but he still wants to move like a giraffe!

Any ideas of how to change this before we can actually have shows again? (Picture taken today, to get your attention ;-))

View attachment 564646
He’s a beautiful dog. Colors are rich.

Continued success w him.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He’s a beautiful dog. Colors are rich.

Continued success w him.
Thank you! If I can just figure out this pacing problem, he's in with a good chance, I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts