German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 month old Male named Brutus. He is about 75lb pounds now. I feed him Purina, large breed puppy chow.Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I feed him based off the recommended amount from the bag.

He is up to 9 cups a day now. At 6 cups he was ferociously eating every single meal like he was starving. Once I upped the food when he turned 9 months he started to lose interest. He has been filling out better but I struggle to make him want to eat without adding extra goodies (rice, chicken, veggies, turkey, etc.).

Any advice would be great!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
9 cups! That is too much. They taper off when they stop growing as fast. I would consider finding a food without that much filler and switching to adult food. He will fill out naturally between 12-18 months. Do you have a picture from the side or from above?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
If he lost interest when you upped the amount of food, go back to the amount he was getting when he was scarfing it down. It may be that he's just being fed too much and he isn't hungry enough to eat it all. 9 cups seems like A LOT to me.

Also, I would not add anything to his food to get him to eat. That will just lead to a picky eater. Put his food down, and if he doesn't eat after 10 minutes, pick it back up and don't give it back until the next meal time. He won't starve himself. Eventually he'll be so hungry he will eat it plain.

Others will likely mention that that isn't the highest quality food. You may want to make a switch.

Good luck!

·
Registered
447 Posts
9 cups is a ridiculous amount of food for a 9 month GSD... for ANY GSD. I just googled this brand, and it works out to 3,636 calories/day. That's sounds insane to me!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
868 Posts
I agree with the other members.....waaay to much food........does he poop a lot ?.....generally with a better quality higher protein kibble (less filler)...you have less "waste" out the other end.....my picky eaters appetite improved with a better quality food also.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 9 month--it's a girl only eats 3 cups a day of adult food. She's also only 51 pounds. But I feed her Diamond Naturals Adult Large Breed. I'm still new to GSD but 9 cups sounds like way too much for a puppy to eat.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Whoa. That's crazy. My girl fluctuates between 72-75lbs, has since the age of 8 months and is currently over a year now, and she eats only 3 cups of Acana Grasslands a day. That works out to ~1400kcals a day. Dogs will binge eat whether or not they need the food, but if they show zero interest chances are they either don’t like the food or are receiving too much. My girl acts like she’s starved every meal. Doesn’t mean she needs more food, just that she likes it.

Plus I’m pretty sure the bag feeds based on a specific age range... you’re feeding based on weight at maturity at the max of that range (100lbs), which personally I think is obscene and most GSDs that weight need to be at or above 28” at the shoulder to actually be in shape, otherwise they’re generally just obese...

This is what my girl looks like, and she's decently lean. She’s 26.5” at the shoulder:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts