German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone..

Titan is 9 months old and very well behaved and fully house trained. My wife and I both have day jobs which require us to be gone for 8-10 hours on most days. Titan goes to my a friends house during the day so we don't have to crate him at home, and so he can play with their Brittanys. He has been marking in public places but today he marked in the babies room. So until he get neutered he can't go back.

Here's the questions:

Lots of people have their opinions on neutering, is 9 months to early? We were originally going to wait until at least a year.

I would prefer to leave him at home and not neuter him (now), but my wife thinks he will ruin everything when he get bored. Do you have any suggestions on how to keep him in doors and not crated? We do not currently have a doggie dog but that's an easy fix.

I was thinking of putting his crate in front of the doggie door so he still has access to outside, but can come in to cool down, we live in AZ it's 106 today. Has anyone done this?

Here's a pic of Titan

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Does the friend have 'male' dogs as well? He may have marked because well, males will do this around other males..Maybe your friends dog had marked there previously?
Just a thought.

Not sure neutering will cut down on the marking or eliminate the problem.

As for the heat, and keeping him in during the day. Is there a room you could block him off in ? Can you get someone to come during the day and let him out for a break?

I would not want to leave him outside in that heat , but I can agree with your wife about not leaving him alone for that long without supervision UNLESS you trust him completely.. He's still pretty young.

Honestly, I kinda can't believe your friend would banish him for one accident. Maybe she could crate him for awhile , let him out for awhile??

Just throwing some ideas out there

·
Registered
629 Posts
Marking is a training issue not a neutering issue. The biggest marker I know is my friend's 5 year old spayed lab bitch -and she was neutered young. Neutering/spaying will not cure it. I would not neuter for that reason but that is just me.

If you give him enough mental and physical exercise before and after you go to work there is no reason why he wouldn't be able to settle in a crate or in the house while you are gone. If he isn't trusted in the house yet I would crate him for his safety and your home's-sake!

I wouldn't feel comfortable with leaving my pup outside too much he could get into or someone could take him or some could poison him or get into your home who knows! Call me paranoid but that would be too much for me!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts