German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have a new fur-baby 9 month old GSD who just recently came to our home. He's very good-natured and smart. Just one issue: he likes to play bite/gnaw on my 7 year old son. I am trying to learn how to correct this behavior (and my kid's too if he is contributing to it!) I think my son gives him a lot of "reaction" and that is reinforcing it before I get there to put a stop to it. Anyone have any tips on the best way to teach both pup (and kid if needed?)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I went through a similar thing with my son and Shadow. The first thing I did was NEVER leave the two of them alone. If Shadow started to play rough with my son, his leash went on immediately and my son would start to give obedience commands, basic ones, sit, down etc. and would treat when Shadow complied. Shadow began to listen to my son and the rough play stopped. My son was happy he was helping with the training and no longer being a chew toy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! This sounds like a good idea. I have been keeping a leash on Jaeger in the house so that I can keep up with him while training our house rules. It makes a lot of sense to have my son put him in a sit (still learning down) and treat him to redirect. That will be good for them both! Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts