German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so flash still gets nervous around my brother and his husband they came over last night and he piddled on him self and cowered a lil will he always be this way or will he get some nerve as he gets older

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I think it's doubtful he will improve. Poor nerves are often inherited.

I went through this with one of my dogs. She was okay up until about 9 months, then she went into a fear period, and never came out of it. At age 2, she still could not pass a basic temperament test, and when a small puppy came running up to her, she yanked the leash out of my hand and ran away!

She was also scared of men and children, but not due to being abused. It was strictly lack of exposure - there were no children in my household, and she rarely saw my room mate's son, who lived in the basement and was handicapped, so he couldn't do the stairs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think it's doubtful he will improve. Poor nerves are often inherited.

I went through this with one of my dogs. She was okay up until about 9 months, then she went into a fear period, and never came out of it. At age 2, she still could not pass a basic temperament test, and when a small puppy came running up to her, she yanked the leash out of my hand and ran away!

She was also scared of men and children, but not due to being abused. It was strictly lack of exposure - there were no children in my household, and she rarely saw my room mate's son, who lived in the basement and was handicapped, so he couldn't do the stairs.
flash doesn't act quite the same as ur girl just seems fearful of new people like flash plays on slides with my son lol he runs up a fort and slides with my son lol hes something

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
That's exactly what I said above - fearful of new people. If there had been small children in my house, I am sure she would have been okay with them.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Most dogs outgrow excited peeing, and males mature slower than females, so just give him time. I wouldn't draw any firm conclusions yet...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
My male is almost 4 and will still submissive pee if he is afraid (or pee from excitement if my husband comes home and he is not in a down stay or crated). He has very weak nerves, and is generally fearful/leaning toward fear aggressive toward people. Have you ever taken your dog to a trainer? I’d work on upping your obedience and engagement level with your dog. And I’d be careful to keep strangers out of his space. He’s showing you he is uncomfortable with strangers, so I would respect that. Take him out and let hom see that strangers are no big deal. They are just part of the background. Work on obedience in places where he can see strangers, but don’t force or allow any meet and greets with strangers. Once he realizes he isn’t being forced into interactions that make him uncomfortable, he may become more confident in general. I’d try to gently expose him to as much as you can, without forcing him or pulling him too far out of his comfort zone. Build his trust (and his confidence) in you. If it is due to genetic weak nerves, the weak nerves will always be there. But you can work on giving him coping mechanisms, for lack of a better term.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My male is almost 4 and will still submissive pee if he is afraid (or pee from excitement if my husband comes home and he is not in a down stay or crated). He has very weak nerves, and is generally fearful/leaning toward fear aggressive toward people. Have you ever taken your dog to a trainer? I’d work on upping your obedience and engagement level with your dog. And I’d be careful to keep strangers out of his space. He’s showing you he is uncomfortable with strangers, so I would respect that. Take him out and let hom see that strangers are no big deal. They are just part of the background. Work on obedience in places where he can see strangers, but don’t force or allow any meet and greets with strangers. Once he realizes he isn’t being forced into interactions that make him uncomfortable, he may become more confident in general. I’d try to gently expose him to as much as you can, without forcing him or pulling him too far out of his comfort zone. Build his trust (and his confidence) in you. If it is due to genetic weak nerves, the weak nerves will always be there. But you can work on giving him coping mechanisms, for lack of a better term.

thank u for all the great tips I will keep that in mind what bout his dog aggression when on a leash he tends to lunge at other dogs other then these to problems hes pretty well behaved he's a good sweet boy just have these to problems

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
You can make this WAY better! Proper socialization and making meeting a POSITIVE experience. Whether it's by initially ignoring the dog, or offering treats.

Confidence in general also helps in the home. Learning YOU are in charge and he can take cues from you (calm and confident human must mean everything is ok!).

But this take time and going out and about in an appropriate (not overwhelming) manner in the real world.

Were you able to attend puppy classes? Fun classes like nosework or trick training? Clicker classes. Socialization and puppy classes. Trips to the park (not necessarily a dog park but just a big open space with fun exercise and NEW things).

You had a chance to go thru the links on https://www.germanshepherds.com/for...ialize-i-want-photos-videos-puppies-dogs.html yet.

You CAN make this alot better! Good luck :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts