German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here and new GSD owner. My GSD has started circling around the living room the past few nights. Always has his nose to the floor like he is following a scent trail. If you distract him with a toy, treat or speaking to him. He will stop for a few minutes then start again sometimes in the opposite direction. He is only created a for few hours a day in the mornings. Perfectly healthy normal dog. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance, Todd

·
Registered
262 Posts
Our female does the same thing but chasing flies and gophers in the backyard. She will go for hours BUT she will stop and come when directed. Its not unhealthy as long as its no obsessive. These dogs are natural trackers... try to find activities in your area that will give him access to use these talents. I do not think you are going to be able to train it out of him.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Deja does this occasionally when she smells a skunk. Also she has her hackles up then. It startled us at first as she smells them before we do. We thought she had a seizure! Now I put her on a down stay when she starts this behavior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts