German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 9.5 month old chews EVERYTHING. he stole my portable hard drive out of my school bag, chewed it. Stole my Ugg boots out of the closet-chewed them. Took my shoes off my dresser-chewed them. Took the flipping couch cushion off the couch,chewed it.. I am at a loss-I walk them for 30-60 EVERY SINGLE day when I get home from work-they both play together, we throw the ball for him, he has a nice sized toy box with different chew toys. He gets bully sticks and other chewys-I don't know how to curb this chewing our stuff up. He just started this recently. The last 3-4 weeks. Anyone have any idea's?????

It is very frustrating...

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Crate when you can't supervise? Some dogs need more supervision, not sure why....
What are you feeding your pup(besides the expensive stuff he's ruined)? Maybe get some raw fresh knucklebones to keep his mouth occupied.

BTW, your thread "looking for a pup in IL" has been very active, where did you end up going for your pup?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just noticed the activeness of that thread. I am embaressed to say where I got him from. I will get bashed to no end, and I already know it was not a good place..

I am feeding him Fromm.... I know its not from hunger..... My female never did this except teething stage-he is way done with that stage, but this new stage is gonna get him in the perm dog house... :)

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Kimi, do you crate him?
Fromm is a great food, I just wondered if he felt he was lacking nutritionally.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
He may just be bored. We have to watch Leyna (8 months) very carefully. If she gets bored, she chews. When we can't watch her, she is crated. She is never out loose unsupervised.
Is your pup crated?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is crated when we are not home..

But he is like a typical boy to me-my girl was good for the most part. Him-always in trouble for something. He is so silly, and playful, and just always like a big goof. Codi is more lady and motherlike. Never noticed her being like that before until we got him.

He is also getting up in the middle of the night earlier to play/pee. So, after about 5 months of not crating at night, we are going to start again tonight. We both work, and can't keep getting up at 3 am ... its crazy...

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
At that age he should be crated at night anyways.

·
Registered
627 Posts
After Freyja destroyed 2 pairs of Kate Spade shoes, (she passed over the $20 pair and went straight for the $350 pair) I kept her on a leash that was tied to my waist until she earned back her freedom. Recently Freyja has developed a pillow shredding phase. I have no problem leashing her when I'm with her, but I'm feeling horrible about taking all the "shreaddable" items from her crate tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, he does that too.. I kept buying him all these crate beddings, towels, blankets, and he just keeps ripping them all up. So, we can't keep anything in there either. And I feel terrible cuz I feel it must be cold on the ground, blah blah blah.
We do crate him when we are not home. And we will start at night now.. urgh...

·
Registered
20 Posts
What works for me is to get a tennis ball (if you have room outside) and throw the ball over and over again long distances for 15-20 minutes. He will be to tired to chew on anything. Martial will chew on random things if left alone for awhile but if he is alone he is usually crated. hopefully he will grow out of it and I can leave him to roam the house while I'm at work at night.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yes, he does that too.. I kept buying him all these crate beddings, towels, blankets, and he just keeps ripping them all up. So, we can't keep anything in there either. And I feel terrible cuz I feel it must be cold on the ground, blah blah blah.
Definitely. I would never allow him out unsupervised until you can trust him completely. Go back to puppy basics and begin working him with everything. Tether him to you for a couple weeks as you move around the house and use his basic obedience such as leave it, with me, watch me, wait etc. I am sure he is in that "pushing the limits" stage and just needs some reinforcement on the rules. If you gave him a good foundation in the beginning it will come back quick.
You can also use this time to wear him out mentally by working on new skills. There is a game called "101 things to do with a box". They are shaping exercises but works wonders on our maturing pups to tire easily.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I just woke up to Zoe who ate a book last night and got in the trash- two things she hasn't done since she was a pup. The only thing I can think of is last night I shut my door and she wasn't with me like usual- me thniks she was mad,lol She's a bitch though so I should have expected it:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
more excercise for this pup if he chews up bedding he will go without for a week. take up the water at 6 pm each night you wont get up at three am. baby gate him in one frequently used room by all family members and supervise him when youre home crate when youre away. my gsd king is 15 months still crated overnight and when i leave. has never ruined anything of mine hopefully he never will. ive tried him twice to see if he was ready to leave uncrated on short trips to the store but he got a pencil once and a doll the next so dont rush it. as for mine hes just not trustworthy yet. not a race good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
sticks and small logs

Our 8 mo old (tomorrow) has dragged in sticks, now logs ;-) He's a termite as he crunches through his stick dujoir. As I sweep up the mess each day I thank my lucky stars he isn't chewing on the furniture. He doesn't rip his bed apart (yet) but, has started to rip apart any stuffed toy including his two favorites. Now he is dragging around pieces of what's left. Is this finally adolescence? He is still intact and will be until he's older due to his large size and slow maturity...no more stuffed toys?? OMG he will go nuts...no cause and effect in puppy brain here :crazy:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am learning to feel your alls pain. Aspen was an angel and never chewed anything until this week...days before he became 9mo. I figure it is b/c he was kenneled all day with no exercise yesterday. Normally he is out, we play chase, etc. But I had a strange work issue and was gone from 5am til 10pm. I did come home for an hour for potties and a little play/eat. Today and tomorrow I am going to be gone long hours (this is not my usual schedule) and wont get exercised til later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
9 Month Old Tearing up Bedding

My 9 month old always tears his bedding up. We usually put a comforter in his cage for bedding and all he does is rip it open and pull the cotton out of it. Is there something we are doing wrong? Is a comforter not good bedding for a GSD? I really need help because we are running out of blankets! Lol. :help:

·
Super Moderator
32,033 Posts
If he is tearing up his bedding then he shouldn't have any bedding in his crate - problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
[B said:
LoneStarBandit[/B];2225751]My 9 month old always tears his bedding up. We usually put a comforter in his cage for bedding and all he does is rip it open and pull the cotton out of it. Is there something we are doing wrong? Is a comforter not good bedding for a GSD? I really need help because we are running out of blankets! Lol. :help:
LoneStarBandit, I agree w/Cassidy's Mom, just remove all the bedding. I have some dogs that never touch their bedding. I've had another that only had an bare empty crate their entire life cause they were guaranteed to destroy anything I put in and it was always a huge mess...

Your dog will do fine. :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
LoneStarBandit, I agree w/Cassidy's Mom, just remove all the bedding. I have some dogs that never touch their bedding. I've had another that only had an bare empty crate their entire life cause they were guaranteed to destroy anything I put in and it was always a huge mess...

Your dog will do fine. :)
I agree too. Max no longer uses a crate, but when he did would always tear up or pull out bedding from his old crate. He would often jump out of our bed to get into his empty crate-it was cooler for him--

·
Registered
460 Posts
Our 9.5 month old chews EVERYTHING. he stole my portable hard drive out of my school bag, chewed it. Stole my Ugg boots out of the closet-chewed them. Took my shoes off my dresser-chewed them. Took the flipping couch cushion off the couch,chewed it.. I am at a loss-I walk them for 30-60 EVERY SINGLE day when I get home from work-they both play together, we throw the ball for him, he has a nice sized toy box with different chew toys. He gets bully sticks and other chewys-I don't know how to curb this chewing our stuff up. He just started this recently. The last 3-4 weeks. Anyone have any idea's?????

It is very frustrating...
I have similar problems with my 7 m/o. He chews on and destroys everything, including bedding. He's even learned to open drawers and chew the stuff inside! His favorite chew toy also seems to be my poor hands.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts