German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a high pedigree german shepherd, female 9 months old. This past two weeks she started biting her private area very hard and quite often. Friday and Saturday she had an accident in the house. I took her to the vet but she refused to give a urine sample (of course she went right after I got home).

He put her in antibiotics for 10 days. Is this something that could happen to a dog this young? She's active and eating. When she had her accidents, a lot of urine came out.

He checked her private area and said she is not in heat. She is a long coat and told me to shave that area so dirt doesn't get in there.

She has been on antibiotics since Monday night, last night she had another accident. She didn't even ask to go out, she just went. He says it's rare for a UTI at this age this is why he thinks it's the bladder.

Any advice?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I suggest you give the anitbiotics time to work. Give the medication as per the vet's instructions.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My puppy at 13 weeks had a UTI ex. frequent urination, accidents, and constant licking. The vet prescribed her medication after testing the urine and 3 weeks later she seemed to be doing better. We took her off of the medication and are retesting her urine tomorrow. Giving time for the antibiotics to work is key. Stella is a longer coated gsd so I had them shave around her potty area and it seems to be helping! I hope the medication works! Its always upsetting when they are sick!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Have your vet pull a sterile sample and do a culture. He will be able to see if crystals are present and determine the bacteria it is so can prescribe the correct antibiotic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts