German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If all goes as planned, our older pup will be home tomorrow. He's been well socialized with people and other dogs and (I'm told) has a super temperment. I'll be picking him up at the airport and driving him home.

We have a neutered 3 year old King Charles Cavalier at home. Any tips on how to introduce the 2 of them to maximize the chances of them getting along? The cavalier doesn't have an aggressive nature at all and is accustom to another dog in the house, as he shared the home with our old beagle until she died early this year.

BTW, I did numerous reference checks on the breeder, lots of conversations about this particular GSD. We're very excited.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
If it were me, I'd start by taking both dogs to a neutral place, like a park, and let them get their sniffs and initial intro done. Then maybe do a short walk together. If that works out OK, progress to your backyard.

When we got Coke, I took Kenya to meet him at a petstore. They wandered around the store together for probably close to an hour before we decided to adopt him. Then they did a car ride (Kenya does not consider the car "hers" and I can stick ANY dog in there with her) and went to another pet store to get dogs supplies so they were walked around together there. Then we let them mess around in our yard (huge yard, and Kenya has never been protective of it) before bringing him indoors.

Once he came inside, we kept both dogs on short drag leashes. We supported Kenya as the alpha, so if Coke tried to get in one of her favorite spots, we'd redirect him away. It took a few days before I was comfortable having them both out without drag lines and without me being right there. To date, we've never had a fight. There were a few times in the first few days where Coke go in Kenya's space and she nipped him, but that was it. Now they go in each other's crates, share toys, have the run of the house, and play together every day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Liesje. I picked Max up at the airport at about 1130 last night and got home around 1 am this morning.

I walked him around for about 15 minutes and then my wife brought Buddy outside and they met up at the end of the street. After a few minutes of sniffs, we took them on a 20 minute walk praising Buddy all the way.

About an hour or so after we got inside, with Max wanting to play, Buddy let out a low growl and Max stopped.

Two walks in so far today, Max has been bathed and life seems pretty good. Max is a sweetheart and so is Buddy and both are sound asleep in front of me in the family room.

Thanks,

BCC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts