German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what to do. I'm so frustrated right now that I'm actually close to tears, which is saying something because I rarely ever cry! I have no idea how to get Haven to stop jumping on people. If we're walking in my building or up the street, she tries to jump on almost everyone. 99% of the time they're not looking at her or interacting with her at all. She just loves people and wants to make friends with everyone. I shorten her leash the best that I can, but she wears a choke collar and the size that it is still allows her a few inches (not a fan of choke collars but she's been reactive with dogs lately and pulls like mad, she's 70+ lbs. and VERY strong)... so sometimes she's still able to jump up on people.

Whenever she jumps I tell her "Off!" and immediately pull her away from the person. Most of the time the person will say off or down too, because obviously it's not enjoyable to have a huge dog jumping on you, especially when the people around here seem to think big = vicious with dogs. When she jumps on people we know, they turn around and ignore her, which I've instructed them to do. If they turn back to her and she does it again, I just have them keep repeating the process until she stops jumping. I always have them tell her "Off!" every time she jumps as well. I also do the same thing on the rare occasion that she jumps on me.

She's in training to be my service dog, and she never jumps on people when her vest is on, but she seems to understand that she's not to interact with people at all with it on and mostly ignores people who try to get her attention or pet her. Or when she does act interested, I give her a command to ignore it and she does. But obviously vesting her all the time is not a solution. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm losing my mind here and I don't know what else to try to get her to stop jumping!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
who's training your dog to be a service dog? why can't they
help with the jumping? how old was your dog when you got him?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm training her. The programs that would train this particular type of service dog for me either had 2 to 3 year wait lists or cost $20,000+ so I'm training her myself. She was 4 or 5 months when I got her.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you got your pup when she was 4 or 5 months old and she's still
jumping on people at 9 months old. i read somewhere "when your
dog isn't doing what you want you have to stop and ask yourself
what am i doing wrong". find a trainer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't "find a trainer". I'm disabled and cannot work due to these disabilities. I am living at 50% below the poverty line due to this so I have no money for a trainer. I knew that by training my own service dog it would be a slower process than if I was even able to afford basic obedience classes, but I accepted that because I need a service dog for my disabilities. And I have asked myself what I'm doing wrong- that's why I posted asking for suggestions and help.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wow, that's kinda rude...

I'd try to create an alternate behavior. For example: When we take a walk in our forest and people without dogs (people on a walk, joggers etc.) come towards us, I call my dogs, let the two "adult" ones lay down and try to focus the attention of my puppy (5 mths old) on a treat or a toy. As soon as the people have passed us, she gets the reward for staying with me (in the beginning I put the leash on for the time we stood there, she stays off the lead for about a week now and it works).

I do the same when I walk with them up the street on our way to the forest, if someone comes towards us, redirect your dog's focus on you, so they basically ignore the person approaching you and reward if this person has passed. It might take a couple of tries but they usually get it pretty quickly!
Good luck! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, that's kinda rude...

I'd try to create an alternate behavior. For example: When we take a walk in our forest and people without dogs (people on a walk, joggers etc.) come towards us, I call my dogs, let the two "adult" ones lay down and try to focus the attention of my puppy (5 mths old) on a treat or a toy. As soon as the people have passed us, she gets the reward for staying with me (in the beginning I put the leash on for the time we stood there, she stays off the lead for about a week now and it works).

I do the same when I walk with them up the street on our way to the forest, if someone comes towards us, redirect your dog's focus on you, so they basically ignore the person approaching you and reward if this person has passed. It might take a couple of tries but they usually get it pretty quickly!
Good luck! :)
I thought it was pretty rude too, hence my somewhat snappy response lol. Thank you for giving me advice instead of just criticizing! I will try the treat thing at first, and if that doesn't work, I'll try toys instead. She's very food motivated though so treats will probably work!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I also agree with getting a prong collar, and since you pretty much know she is going to try to jump on someone, STOP it before she does it.. I think a prong collar will give you much more control over her especially if your disabled..they are WORTH the investment..:)

·
Registered
710 Posts
I agree with the prong. My friend has a service dog that is a mobility support dog for her. When her dog is all geared up, she still wears a prong collar along with her flat leather collar. I never asked her why. Just saying, nothing wrong with getting a prong to help with the education.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I thought it was pretty rude too, hence my somewhat snappy response lol. Thank you for giving me advice instead of just criticizing! I will try the treat thing at first, and if that doesn't work, I'll try toys instead. She's very food motivated though so treats will probably work!
See, ideal conditions! :)
I'm sure it's gonna work if she's food motivated. Just don't try too much too soon. At first I'd try to "distract" her if another person walks in a greater distance and then slowly decrease the distance. Additionally I wouldn't feed her before training so she's hungry and wants the treat even more. If you keep working on it she should get it in just a couple of days!

Prong collar? Well, I guess everyone has to figure it out for himself, I never used it (which doesn't mean it can't be a helpful tool!).

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
My pup was a terrible jumper and her breeder said her littermate was too!

I'm not sure what to tell you, I kept telling her 'off!' and I'd turn my back to her every time she'd try to jump up too. Whether that was what did it, I don't know, but one day it just seemed to stop. She used to muzzle punch me all the time, it was awful!

So don't give up! I'm not sure how old she was, but it must have been at least 9 months of age, but she did FINALLY give it up.

ETA: good idea about the alternate behaviour! I did that with mine, sorry forgot to say. I'd tell her 'get in' (sit in heel position) or sit or platz, all she'd do with enthusiasm. So that helped get her brain in gear and get her thinking, instead of just reacting out of excitement.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
listen sensitive ones, i wasn't being rude. Kaona i didn't think
you were being snappy. i can teach you how to be snappy, snarky
and pleasantly rude. lol.

I thought it was pretty rude too, hence my somewhat snappy response lol.

Thank you for giving me advice instead of just criticizing! I will try the treat thing at first, and if that doesn't work, I'll try toys instead. She's very food motivated though so treats will probably work!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
set up situations where she jumps on people and use that time
to train. you can invite people to your house and train indoors or
outside.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Whenever she jumps I tell her "Off!" and immediately pull her away from the person. Most of the time the person will say off or down too, because obviously it's not enjoyable to have a huge dog jumping on you, especially when the people around here seem to think big = vicious with dogs. When she jumps on people we know, they turn around and ignore her, which I've instructed them to do. If they turn back to her and she does it again, I just have them keep repeating the process until she stops jumping. I always have them tell her "Off!" every time she jumps as well. I also do the same thing on the rare occasion that she jumps on me.
Right. Do you know that you are training your dog to attack? You are lucky she's not agressive enough. Your "Off!" means "Get it!" for her. Your falsetto sounds exciting, pleasant commotion among strangers, but ... She doesn't understand what exactly she is doing wrong, why do you say "Bad girl!" - ? Ok, she will bring her attack to perfection next time!
First of all, you understand wrongly "friendliness" of puppies. All their friendliness and their games was designed and works as a training for future fights, hunt and sexual relationship. It should have been then, when she was three, you should have started paying attention to recall. It is too late now, a strong stereotype was built in her, and your task is to replace it with alternative stereotype. I don't think you can pull it on your own, you need a professional trainer while your dog is still young and trainable. To train GSD ia easy, to retrain is not so.Sorry to say that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hate to chime in I read majority of the post and didn't see anyone suggest this and I don't know if it is a possibility but have you tried a head collar? If not it will take the dog some getting use to but this would need very little tug to redirect the dogs attention. By placing the pressure when the dog pulls to the back of the head rather then around the neck. Also with the muzzle loop it will pull head to the side. Also people at theory store cans how you how to properly fit it so that it pill work correctly. Best of luck though.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
"Canny Collar" was designed for walking only. Your dog is not a puppet, it simply doesn't work this way, you don't know what you are doing. Please, stop inventing new methods of training youself. Honestly, it could be better to forget about any commands, train your dog to wear muzzle and have her on prong all the time if you cannot afford professional trainer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
A lot of good advice in here. I had the same problem with Gem. I solved the problem by having her in control prior to anyone entering my house or greeting me on the street. Gem would be leashed, even in the house, if someone was coming over. That person would have strict instructions not to pay any attention to Gem. To only talk to me. If Gem would try jumping, you can tell by their posture, a quick pull on the leash and whatever command you use, "off." After Gem was sitting patiently, quietly, calmly my guest would give her a treat and quick pet. This worked great for me.

Gem doesn't jump on anyone anymore. Good Luck. Every dog is different. If one method doesn't work look for another.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Puppy did this when she was younger. Instead of the prong, I would look into the Halti (or another another head halter). I prefer this to the prong because the prong can make some dogs more revved up and can be incorrectly used (with incorrect timing of corrections) to teach your dog the wrong things.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts