German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I purchased a new pup (This past Thursday night) after losing my other to bloat. :(

A couple quick questions. I've never raised a pup from 8wks old, and the dogs I've already owned in the past have already been 3yrs old and up.

So here are my questions... Bare with me please...

My pup cries sometimes, apparently for no reason... even after taking him out to the yard to poop/pee and playing with him, he still cries in the house... Why?

He's had his first set of shots... but I've taken him to the park once (which I know is a big no no now) because I feel like he goes crazy in the house locked up most of the day. We have another OLDER terrier, but seeing as how his shots are not completed, I rarely let him out in the yard with him or with the things our Terrier touches/interacts with. Do I REALLY have to keep him (our GSD) in our house til his shots are completed?? The Terrier has all his shots and no contagious illnesses. Just arthritis, diabetes, and Thyroid. (Poor Guy)

I noticed when he runs, he kinda bunny hops a LITTLE... but the breeder said the vet checked for hip dysplasia (by hand) and found nothing wrong... and parents are fine. Do I still need to do an X-Ray immediately? He walks and even jogs perfect... its when he runs it just doesn't look quite right... (maybe I just might be paranoid). Once again, I've never raised a GSD pup this young.

Also, I noticed he's clumsy as ****!!! Lol, It's so funny, sometimes he'll be running and trip over his own legs! Not to mention he can't quite jump yet? He'll put his front paws on the couch... but I need to pick him up and put him on the couch cause he can't jump. And my couch is LOW lol.

Almost done! lol, I notice he gets the hiccups fairly often... is that normal?

Why do his farts smell RIDICULOUSLY bad?!?! Lol! I've been giving him the same brand of food (Royal Canin Puppy) but not the EXACT same line of food. I think he was on Royal Canin GSD Pup 30. Any suggestions? His stool is solid at first, and finishes pretty watery. He just started on this food I got him about 2 days ago. I will be switching him to Wolf Cub by Solid Gold soon. Reviews please?

He twitches when he sleeps, and sometimes... they're pretty violent twitches. lol. Throughout the day his behavior is absolutely normal... he's playful, loves to bark and run around... but why the twitches?

Do I have to continue to soak his food in water before feeding him?? Or can I give him the kibble right out of the bad. Breeder recommended it... but it doesn't say anything about that on the directions of the food bag. Once again, I am giving him Royal Canin Maxi Puppy from PetCo.

Last but not least (thank you for taking the time to read all this)... He bites EVERYTHING IN SIGHT! Now, the breeder says he's teething... so that's understandable... but does he really have to chew and bite EVERYTHING??? Down to the bed he sleeps on???

Oh and one more... he has one ear up already (most of the time)... and the other looks like it's trying to catch up but still flops down most of the time. Any idea how much longer (approx) will both be straight up?

His father is Czech Working Line
His mother is German Import
He's 8wks and approx 9 lbs. Paws are huge!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lol. Thats a baby gsd for u. The hiccups very normal; on our 3rd gsd, brutal, right. Clumsy because their paws get in the way, galloping also normal, actually pretty cute. They talk a lot, also. It will not be easy, so just make sure to wear him/her out during the day, just like a toddler. Lex, 8 week old, sleeping peacefully right next to me after active day of eating poop, dirt, chasing a ball and chewing on EVERY THING. It gets better. Good luck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol. Thats a baby gsd for u. The hiccups very normal; on our 3rd gsd, brutal, right. Clumsy because their paws get in the way, galloping also normal, actually pretty cute. They talk a lot, also. It will not be easy, so just make sure to wear him/her out during the day, just like a toddler. Lex, 8 week old, sleeping peacefully right next to me after active day of eating poop, dirt, chasing a ball and chewing on EVERY THING. It gets better. Good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to answer most of my questions... it is as helpful as it is reassuring! I know my thread is long, but if you can find some time to answer the rest of my questions that would be awesome! I got a lot of views on this thread, but no one seems to wanna answer. Thank you none the less!:fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Your terrier, assuming it wants to, is fine to play with your puppy since the terrier is fully vaccinated. I would avoid taking your puppy anywhere that other dogs have been until it has had its shots. You can carry it places, but don't put it down on the ground.

If he has a touch of diarrhea, that will make him more .. smelly. Once that clears up (has he been to the vet yet for a full work up?), it should help a lot.

He will be biting and chewing for a few months. Show him what you want him to chew and take away (keep away) the things you don't.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl used to get the hiccups all the time. Nothing to worry about.

She couldn't get on the couch on her own until she was about 13 weeks, and couldn't make the bed on her own until she was around 16 weeks.

She still has me drag her aboard in the mornings. I don't know why she won't jump up unless she's afraid of jumping on me.

Sometimes young puppies just cry. They can't talk. But, while potty training her, if she comes to you and does this consider it a sign that "I NEED TO GO OUT RIGHT NOW!" Even if she doesn't go, she will start to connect the crying with going outside. It will help in your potty training.

You will be very fortunate (like me) if she will do this.

I had never added water to Lisl's food. Sometimes though, I would add leftover gravy or meat drippings if I had cooked. I still do and she loves it.

Yes they will chew everything in sight if you don't have enough toys to hold her interest and direct her away from your posessions. This is a key to maintaining your furniture, shoes, sofa cushions, lamp wires, trash can, etc.

I have audio cabling running around everywhere in a large room in my home. Never has she even went up to one and sniffed it. No table legs chewed up, and I haven't lost any of my leather boots or shoes. She did hide a sock on me once, but she didn't chew it.

On the other hand, I came home from work at 1400 on Sunday after only a five hour shift. I took her outside to potty, played with her, and talked to her and then she went back into her crate so I could go grocery shopping.

I think she was pissed. She chewed up her bed. There was stuffing everywhere and not just a little hole, but multiple holes. I didn't say a word and I left it in her crate for several hours. She was just as excited to see me as when I came home from work. I later gathered up all the stuffing and the cover and threw it away.

Sorry for being so long winded, but there is a lot to tell about little puppies.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your terrier, assuming it wants to, is fine to play with your puppy since the terrier is fully vaccinated. I would avoid taking your puppy anywhere that other dogs have been until it has had its shots. You can carry it places, but don't put it down on the ground.

If he has a touch of diarrhea, that will make him more .. smelly. Once that clears up (has he been to the vet yet for a full work up?), it should help a lot.

He will be biting and chewing for a few months. Show him what you want him to chew and take away (keep away) the things you don't.

Our Terrier has been fully vaccinated... he's just a bit of an old grouch. I have made the mistake though of taking him to the front lawn (by the sidewalk) to poop and pee sometimes... I know that there have been a couple dogs pass by and pee to in recent days. I don't let him play in the grass or anything, just strictly do do his business and then we go back in the house. Still bad?? I know it's wrong to begin with, but sometimes he just won't go in the backyard! It's almost like he prefers to go in the front.

As far as his stools go, like I've mentioned... sometimes it's solid, and sometimes it's pretty watery. Any idea why? I just got him Thursday night, and bought him the same brand, but not the same "model" food on Saturday. But since the day we got him... he's been on/off watery. Almost like a pancake batter consistency (if that makes any sense). Could it be him adjusting to the food? Stress of the move to a new environment? or is he just sick.

Some people have mentioned fasting him for 12-24hrs? And others have mentioned adding pumpkin to his food to harden his stool a little.

As for the chewing... I will just have to buy him more toys.

He has fleas... but at such a young age, can I put something like frontline? Or just let it ride out til I can use that.

As far as baths... is it ok to bathe him? He kinda stinks a little... and seeing as he is indoors 90% of the day, it gets to me and my pregnant girlfriend sometimes lol.

Thank you none the less for your reply!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl had three baths before she was 9 weeks old. It won't hurt them, especially now that it's starting to warm up and getting more humid.

I worried a little that I would dry out her skin in December but it didn't happen.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lisl had three baths before she was 9 weeks old. It won't hurt them, especially now that it's starting to warm up and getting more humid.

I worried a little that I would dry out her skin in December but it didn't happen.
Thanks for your input! Much appreciated. Quick question though, do I still have to soak his food in water before he eats it? He eats his "puppy" food so fast I'm afraid he'll just swallow it whole without chewing... Then someone mentioned to me that maybe adding water would be the reason he has loose stools to begin with. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thanks for your input! Much appreciated. Quick question though, do I still have to soak his food in water before he eats it? He eats his "puppy" food so fast I'm afraid he'll just swallow it whole without chewing... Then someone mentioned to me that maybe adding water would be the reason he has loose stools to begin with. Any suggestions?
I use pumpkin in his food for added fiber (and I got lucky and it deterred him from poop eating) and it hardens up his stools. I even just did a fast change in food because I ran out before I had enough to do a gradual switch and yogurt and pumpkin helped. No loose stools which was crazy!

I also put his Kong toys in his bowl so it makes him eat slower or if there isn't yogurt in his kibble I put it in his Kong and make him work for it (he lays on the rug in the living room and noses his Kong around to get the kibble out). I got lucky and my 9 month old still chews his puppy kibble and the TOTW kibble is really small.

I don't know about the water though personally since I don't use it. I know some people on here add water while others don't. I know some pups need their food a little softer because it hurts their teeth when they're teething. I don't see why it would hurt either way though and it should expand the kibble and make him chew it. It also can re-hydrate the dog and I would recommend warm water. Kibble with water wouldn't give your dog diarrhea but it is probably from the switch in diet. A puppy's tummy is very sensitive but to double check this I'd go to a vet with a fecal sample and get tested for worms.

Sorry for being so long-winded!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use pumpkin in his food for added fiber (and I got lucky and it deterred him from poop eating) and it hardens up his stools. I even just did a fast change in food because I ran out before I had enough to do a gradual switch and yogurt and pumpkin helped. No loose stools which was crazy!

I also put his Kong toys in his bowl so it makes him eat slower or if there isn't yogurt in his kibble I put it in his Kong and make him work for it (he lays on the rug in the living room and noses his Kong around to get the kibble out). I got lucky and my 9 month old still chews his puppy kibble and the TOTW kibble is really small.

I don't know about the water though personally since I don't use it. I know some people on here add water while others don't. I know some pups need their food a little softer because it hurts their teeth when they're teething. I don't see why it would hurt either way though and it should expand the kibble and make him chew it. It also can re-hydrate the dog and I would recommend warm water. Kibble with water wouldn't give your dog diarrhea but it is probably from the switch in diet. A puppy's tummy is very sensitive but to double check this I'd go to a vet with a fecal sample and get tested for worms.

Sorry for being so long-winded!

Excellent points and great advice! I will be sure to try the pumpkin stuff with his food. Any kind/brand I should get?

PS - Is my Max eating grass and fallen leaves a bad thing? lol. He just started doing that today. He's been munching on the grass for a while.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I just buy any unsweeteed canned pumpkin.

For the grass and leaves...I hope a more experienced member can answer that question. My dog eats grass but it doesnt upset his stomach. I just tell him no so he doesnt get in the habit of eating plants. I really do encourage a vet visit though and you can go over any possible health concerns with them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The twitches r strange; could he be dreaming? That might be a "vet" question. The biting is a pain, but thats what they do. You re supposed to let them bite a little for them to know whats acceptable, according journals. Be stern, CALM and assertive. My 8 week bites but i remain calm and l let him know to be "gentle" still a work in progress. Also, we use raw food, he loves it, healthy poop too. Gross but important. GL.

·
Registered
28 Posts
All of that aside from the food/stool issue sounds pretty on par with normal pup behavior, even the twitching, Naera dreams and often twitches, barks, and 'runs' in her sleep hehe. Enjoy your new baby!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for all of the support and info! It's really helped me out a lot. I just took him to the vet today for his second set of shots... and asked a couple questions, but didn't really remember all the ones I really wanted to ask. lol.

On the bright side, Vet said he was in perfect health and will be a big boy when he matures. He's 9wks tomorrow and is weighing in at 16.040lbs.

He also gave me some pills for my pups upset stomach, he also mentioned he more likely has it from too soon of a food switch. So hopefully my pups stomach feels better soon!

As for training, what age would be appropriate to start? Also, what is a good treat for my pup that won't mess his digestive system up again? I plan on using the clicker.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Training starts now!!! Everything interaction you have with your pup is training. Teaching him what you want and what gets him what he wants!!!

Formal training, in a class is usually started around 12 weeks old, after their second set of shots. If you know how to use the clicker, then you can start getting him to understand the concept. But rember puppies have zero attention span, so keep it short and fun.

The loose stool was probably a mix of the food switch and stress.

The side yard is fine. Just avoid high traffic areas like dog parks, public parks, petsmarts, and stuff.

Have fun and congrats

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
Last but not least (thank you for taking the time to read all this)... He bites EVERYTHING IN SIGHT! Now, the breeder says he's teething... so that's understandable... but does he really have to chew and bite EVERYTHING??? Down to the bed he sleeps on???
Um, at almost 9 weeks old, he's not teething yet, I can't believe your breeder would say that. Teething happens in the 4-6 month old range, approximately. But yes, puppies bite and chew, so don't leave him unsupervised with anything he can chew and ingest.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Um, at almost 9 weeks old, he's not teething yet, I can't believe your breeder would say that. Teething happens in the 4-6 month old range, approximately. But yes, puppies bite and chew, so don't leave him unsupervised with anything he can chew and ingest.
Wow, this is interesting information... this was being said by a guy who had supposedly raised litters upon litters and knew what he was talking about. Anywho, I guess that's neither here nor there... Teething will happen either now or later... my concern was teaching him what he can chew on... and what he can't. Which was what my question pretty much boiled down to. I also have concern for my 3yr old daughter. I know he play bites and all... but he's not small... and my daughter isn't big... so him following her around nipping at her 24/7 concerns me a bit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Keep him leashed to you and teach him "gentle"
I still don't let my almost 6 month alone with my 6 year old.
Although I no longer leash mine- just tell him to stay with me.
Puppy teeth hurt- but in time it should work out- good luck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts