German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first I thought it was mostly puppy play, but he will not stop, even when i try and block him, via a stiff arm (never hurting him) He has not drawn blood yet, but has tackled, chased and nipped. The reason i dont think it puppy play? He barks aggressively at them and nipped me when i blocked him from the cats

I thought he was getting better earlier this week, as it only took a firm "no" to get him to stop. But now he ignores me

Any ideas?

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
8 week old puppies are not aggressive. He's playing with them like he would his litter mates. You need to redirect him and give him something appropriate for him to play with.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
He's playing....ever hear litter mates play? They sound like they are killing each other, chase, nip, growl, pounce, and chew- it's normal. Your cats are going to have to enforce some rules apparently- when my pup is too playful my cat kicks her butt,lol Obviously he needs to learn to play softer but at 8 weeks good luck with that. Find a room or part of the house that can be the cat area and block it off via gates or cat doors- they can leave it if they want and your pup can't get in:)

·
Super Moderator
32,585 Posts
Try keeping him on leash for awhile. I leave a drag line on my pups so I can grab it and keep them from chasing my cats. In the meantime, reward him (lots of treats!) for good, calm behavior around the cats. To be honest I haven't worked that hard with my two current dogs because I know they won't hurt my cats if they catch them, and I have VERY savvy cats who were raised with GSDs their whole lives and know how to evade the dogs. They have their own room with their litter box and a cat tree, and that's where I feed them, so they have a safe place to retreat to.

But when I first got Elvis, my oldest kitty, Cassidy was a year old wild child and I could not trust her not to injure or even kill him, so I was very cautious. I spent MONTHS working with her, and he lived in the cat room with the door closed for the first 4 months I had him. Every day we had supervised visits, and when I finally let him out into the rest of the house I made sure to control Cassidy so she couldn't hurt him. It took a long time, but I was finally able to let them be around each other without me right there to supervise, but I still to this day never leave my cats and dogs alone together when I'm not here. I love my cats too much and I'm not willing to risk their safety.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok , i feel kind of bad about being mad at him. I redirect all the time with him. I do reward him with lots of treats and do positive reinforcement as much as i can. But he really hones in on the cats. I have spent almost 10 minutes at times trying to block him from getting to the cats.Eventually he whimpers and gives up. I usually call him to come after that, then give him treats. Im being very careful not to break his confidence, but i do feel he needs some discipline......

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's playing....ever hear litter mates play? They sound like they are killing each other, chase, nip, growl, pounce, and chew- it's normal. Your cats are going to have to enforce some rules apparently- when my pup is too playful my cat kicks her butt,lol Obviously he needs to learn to play softer but at 8 weeks good luck with that. Find a room or part of the house that can be the cat area and block it off via gates or cat doors- they can leave it if they want and your pup can't get in:)
Thats a relief to hear he is not trying to kill them. My wife's heart stopped a few times i think. The cats scream bloody murder lol

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Oh he may kill them because he is playing and keyed up, but it wouldn't be out of aggression this young. We have a cat room though the cat can leave whenever she wants- Zoe can come in when I invite her which we do daily. We started her on leash and allowed her near the cat to sniff. We treated her when she simply sniffed and didn't lunge and whine at the kitty and when she lunged and whined she was pulled back and got a no from me. Now she is off lead and walks right up to the cat licking her- the cat in turn scratches her and hisses and Zoe is dumb enough to think this is play. However, the cat can get away and we are always watching to keep her safe. Do be watchful and don't allow the dog to chase your cat....it's scary for the kitty and unfair. It's also unfair to think an 8 week old pup knows how to be gentle so separation with supervised visitation is best until the dog is older:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Yes we never leave them alone. He loves to chase them, but has not hurt them. I stop him from chasing everytime. He seems to be getting a tiny bit better

·
Registered
79 Posts
Our 1 year old GSD has been absolutely insane about our three cats ever since she was 8 weeks. All three cats have their front claws and Sofie' nose has been bloodied more than once, but it doesn't seem to deter her.

Once she "caught" a cat, but all she wanted to do was put her head and neck over it and dominate it. When the cat hissed and ran, she chased. I have the house divided by front and back with a baby gate. Every day, the dog sits on her side, and the cats sit on their side, and they stare at each other.

Once a week, we have Sofie go down on her big LL Bean bed and we bring the cats out one at a time for supervised visits - the cat is in our lap, the dog on the bed. If we can ever get the dog to remain calm, I believe that they will be best of friends, but right now she's too hyper, which makes the cars run, which makes the dog chase.

We've been doing the visits, with treats so that she associates the cats with all things good and pleasant for almost a year now, and it's still a little work.

Good luck with it!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Things arent any better. I cant distract him with even a bullystick when he is focused on the cats. He bit down on my wrist and would not release ( i was trying to block him from getting cat)

I bought a clicker and will try the "leave it" next

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just a personal question, but why would you have both cats and dogs? I never really understood people with cats, might as well have a pet mouse. And then the owners become afraid when the dog plays with the cat or chases it like prey, and the dog is immediately scolded or forced to stop. Would you stop your cat from killing a mouse in your house? Same principle. Especially with guardian breeds like the shepherd with a natural born prey drive. Poor puppies. Just please for the sake of principle, don't let your cats bully the dog when it's older. Just tears my heart. Is this what you want your dog to become?
*rant over*

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He's just a baby and he sees great moving fluffy real life toys! The cats will need to steer clear. Try not to be too hard on him, he's doing what comes naturally. The 'leave it' command is good so he knows the cats are off limits.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im sorry you're so easily bothered. Hey what's the old saying? If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all.

By the way, i know of 2 police gsds that live ok with cats. So much for your "expert" theory :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He's just a baby and he sees great moving fluffy real life toys! The cats will need to steer clear. Try not to be too hard on him, he's doing what comes naturally. The 'leave it' command is good so he knows the cats are off limits.
Thanks Stosh

He's a good boy overall. Just need him to calm down a bit

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have two cats and a GSD. The cats were here first and Jaeger had to learn that it was unacceptable to chase them. We used a squirt bottle filled with water/lemon juice. When she would focus on the cats (intense stare which led to chase) we would immediatley spray her in the face which would break her concentration and annoy her. Eventually she learned that she was not allowed to chase. Occasionally she reverts back and the squirt bottle comes back out. Used the same process to stop excessive barking. Cats and dogs can get along fine. Now they share beds.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,585 Posts
Just a personal question, but why would you have both cats and dogs?
Um, because we LIKE both cats and dogs? I've had cats and GSDs since 1986 and and there have been no attacks or injuries to anyone.

I'm sorry you dislike cats so much, truly. You have no idea what you're missing. ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have two cats and a GSD. The cats were here first and Jaeger had to learn that it was unacceptable to chase them. We used a squirt bottle filled with water/lemon juice. When she would focus on the cats (intense stare which led to chase) we would immediatley spray her in the face which would break her concentration and annoy her. Eventually she learned that she was not allowed to chase. Occasionally she reverts back and the squirt bottle comes back out. Used the same process to stop excessive barking. Cats and dogs can get along fine. Now they share beds.
Great picture, that is my goal! I have really thought about going the squirt gun route. I have heard from several others that its great because you can stop the issue fast (like you said, the gaze they give before the chase).

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Dogs and cats can live happily together and have for hundreds of years. Don't be discouraged your puppy really thinks your cat is a cool animated toy- it's not his fault he wants to play and he can learn to play nicely!!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Dogs and cats can live happily together. I have seen it many times.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My mom uses a can of air that you use to dust off computer keyboards and stuff with her gsd- turns out she likes vinegar and/or lemon with water sprayed at her. My mom doesn't spray the air at her face or anything, just in the general direction- now all she has to do is pick up the can and Greta knows to knock it off!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts