German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talla was just spayed Monday. We have had a cone on her since she got home. Its called a "Zencone" and is like fabric and plastic. Everything was fine her incision looked fine this morning. But just a little while ago I noticed that she was able to bend the cone to lick her incision. I put an extra large plastic cone on her now but im concerned her incision may be infected, especially if she's been able to lick it without me realizing it. I tried contacting our vet but they are closed until Monday due to the holiday and I'm not sure what to do. Its not bothering her at the moment. Please see full image to see what looks like razorback on the bottom part of the incision.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I don't know that it's infected but it does look a rashy like she has been licking and also looks like she may have pulled out a staple or two at the point in the top of your photo. Does your vet have an answering service or contact number for after hours emergencies? If so I would call that and see if you can get your vet to call you and find out if you can email or text them the picture for review.
If her behavior changes or has changed (lethargy, loss of appetite, fever etc) 24 hr Emergency vet would be the immediate thing to do.
I would keep close eye on her. Keep her from licking any further. Keep her calm and severely limit activity to leash walks only and absolutely no jumping up. Keep the area clean and dry and watch for and further redness, swelling or oozing of pus from the incision site at the very least.
When in doubt ER vet is always the correct answer.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
I would go immediately to the vet.
Since they are closed, see if there is an emergency number you can call, or find an online vet who can look at this picture. To me, it looks like the beginnings of an infection, and the top has had staples pulled out.
Also, you are going to need a serious cone. I looked at the Zencone, and see two potential problems. One, it is too soft and can be bent, and two, it is shallow, and won’t work for a long-bodied dog.
Did she not arrive home from the vet with a standard cone?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know that it's infected but it does look a rashy like she has been licking and also looks like she may have pulled out a staple or two at the point in the top of your photo. Does your vet have an answering service or contact number for after hours emergencies? If so I would call that and see if you can get your vet to call you and find out if you can email or text them the picture for review.
If her behavior changes or has changed (lethargy, loss of appetite, fever etc) 24 hr Emergency vet would be the immediate thing to do.
I would keep close eye on her. Keep her from licking any further. Keep her calm and severely limit activity to leash walks only and absolutely no jumping up. Keep the area clean and dry and watch for and further redness, swelling or oozing of pus from the incision site at the very least.
When in doubt ER vet is always the correct answer.
No doubt she's been licking it. First, make sure she wearing a cone. Clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide.
Put antibiotic ointment on first day. Let it dry out for two days. The incision should be dry scabbed, and the redness should be receding. Otherwise see the vet.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
No hydrogen peroxide! That works by burning tissue.
I would not put anything on it without consulting the vet first. I’m pretty sure you need to take her back in so they can fix the sutures.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I showed this picture to a vetenarian nurse at work today.

First thing she said is that in all her years as a vet nurse, she had never seen staples used in a spay suture.

She suggested to give it a good clean and to apply sudacrem or filtabac. She also said that if you are still concerned, then all vets have out of hours surgeries, so you should be able to contact them and email a picture.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yikes. Out of curiosity do they give pain meds for spays these days? My vet’s solution used to be to not give pain meds after the first day because pain is good. It prevents this from happening. I’ve had similar surgery and can vouch SOME pain is necessary for this surgery to keep them from moving too much. You can’t just go running around painless like nothing is wrong after your an muscles are separated.
Outside of that, I’d go to the pharmacy to get some liquid stitches and those “stitches” bandaids and try to stick it back up.
You might also want to try an inflatable collar. I think Kong makes them. They can’t get past that and they’re much more comfortable and wearable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts