German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gigi is 8 1/2 months old. She has been doing relatively well on Royal canin German Shepherd puppy. We ran out recently and have been planning to change anyway because of the huge amount of corn in RC. We had some Fromm large breed puppy formula in the house so we use that in the meantime and after two days she has developed bad liquid stools. This is the second time she's had GI issues on this food so obviously we stopped it.

I'd like to start Orijens Puppy Large. anyone have experience with this brand? And doesn't meet aafco guidelines for supporting growth in large breed puppies?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Orijen did not fare real well on the clean label project. Though it is a well respected food on Dog Food Advisor, etc. and it is very expensive. I personally would not use it because of the toxin results and the large number of ingredients in it if you have dog that's sensitive to Fromm. But I would also get off RC for sure. I don't like corn in dog food either. https://www.cleanlabelproject.org/product_category/dog-food/?fwp_brands=orijen

·
Registered
262 Posts
We were feeding our 2 puppies Natural Balance Ultra Prem. formula. The large breed bites had extra support for hip and joints, but they changed the recipe and the bag size so it is $45 for 24 lbs now.... the dogs eat that in 6 days so that wasn't a good option. We switched to Kirkland brand from Costco, made by Diamond Foods. We mixed it in for a slow change though so there was no digestive issues. They love it and it also has the hip/joint support they need. Best thing is its $30 in store price for 40 lbs of food! They poop healthier then we do!! :) (sorry if that's TMI)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You have to gradually change a dog over to a new kibble by increasingly adding some of the new kibble to the old during each meal. Switching over all at once commonly causing GI issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts