German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs is almost 7 months in 2 weeks and he weighs 80 pounds he is not obese at all just huge bones. Is he going to get much bigger? I am not overfeeding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If you can post photos of your pup from the side and from above so we can see the waist, that will be very helpful for the people in this forum.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Pics from directly above and squarely from the side would show more. Does he have a clearly defined waist from above, and a well-defined tuck seen from the side? Can you feel his ribs easily, but not see any but the 1st one’s outline?

Someone recently posted a great info sheet on good body condition in another thread, I’d look at that, too.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I have a friend who has a male WGSL GSD that looks very similar to your dog. He was also about 80# at 6 months. Last time I saw him he was just over a year, and he was around 115#. I haven't seen him in awhile, but I would assume he's filled out some since then...

You're going to have a very large, and very handsome, dog I think!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Doesn't look heavy at all. To be honest, he looks a TAD skinny to me. THAT BEING SAID... He's still so young and will definitely hit one or two growth spurts ahead. Mine was 45lb at 6 months, he's now 88lb, that's like, your pup's size. At 80lb 6 months, if he's not slowing down anytime soon, yeah you got a big boy there. Def going to be 100lb +.

·
Registered
118 Posts
80 pounds

I think your cutiepie will get bigger in weight. My pup just turned 9 months old and he iswell over 80 pounds (he was around 80 when he was 6 months old) but notfat in any way but he is a male. What was your pup’s parent like?

·
Registered
31,352 Posts
Dogs grow at different rates. You dog's growth may slow down. He will gain more but how much can't really be determined. Mine hit 64# at 6 months and stayed there for several months. Between 6 mth-2 years, he gained another 6#. He's now 82# fully matured.

One of his brother didn't slow down until 11 months. Not sure what he weighs but he is not fully mature and he's bigger than mine right now.

It all just depends on his genetics. Keep him lean. It will be whatever it will be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts