German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my pup whines/barks with all his might for seriously 15-20 minutes straight when i crate him that im afraid the neighbors are going to call the cops. after he quiets down he'll whine after another 40 minutes to go pee and then when i crate him afterwards, another 15 minutes of havoc ensues. it went like this the entire night! i ALMOST gave in and just let him sleep on the floor and clean up the poop the next morning! i swear my 8 week pup could pierce ear drums

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try making the kennel a happy and exciting place... It works for all dogs. I feed both my dogs in the kennel, treats, and on occasion well lay on the floor and pet them in there... The more you make it feel like a happy place the easy it will be.

When I say "Peanut go to bed" (or Tucker go to bed)... They normally run across the room and into the kennel cause they now they will get treats food or toys in there...

Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! This was me a month ago. Seriously. I've never had a dog that was so difficult about crate training until Dax came home....

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/277666-seriously-not-sure-what-else-do-crate-training.html

Grin and bear it! Feed him in his crate. Train near the crate. Train in the crate. Crate games. We spent a good 2 weeks of nothing but screaming for a good 20 minutes in the crate. We still have to keep the crate covered because if he see's anyone, he's hollering to be out so that's a work in progress but breakfast and dinner, he'll go racing to his crate to eat. We also practice going to the crate on command when we do short training sessions. There is a light at the end of the tunnel! I promise!!!

·
Registered
595 Posts
But doesn't an 8 week pup need to go middle of the night as well? We did let our pup sleep on the floor while one of us slept on the couch first 2 weeks or so.
It made potty and pee training much faster - not more than a few days. He would whine when he needed to go and we would take him out at nights as well.

I did put him in the crate and took him out when he cried (but made sure he quietened down first by talking to him). Afterwards we started feeding him in his crate, throwing treats in , etc. for a few days before letting him sleep in there. And now he prefers to sleep in his crate during the day with the door open. At night I lock him in.

Not saying you should do it this way - but it is an option. At this age it is not like you make or break them. There is plenty of time and chances for setting behavior patterns and routines and correcting mistakes.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Treats and toys and games in the crate are great to get them used to liking the crate. I used to throw surprise toys in there for them to find, or when putting them in give them frozen stuffed kong. Anything that makes the crate a positive place is helpful. Also dropping a light blanket over the crate will isolate the pup and keep out outside sight excitement when nap time comes. I wouldn't recommend covering the crate all the time though, just when necessary. It's a process that takes time but your pup will love the crate eventually if done right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts