German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, this is probably a bit redundant but I'm not sure my GSD puppy is at the size he should be. He is 8 weeks and a couple days old and from what I've been able to find so far he seems small compared to other photos of 8 week olds and from searching it seems he should be in the 15-20lbs range already? My pup is more along the 10lbs range. I'm pretty confident he's all Shepherd, all of his traits are telling me he is but he just seems undersized.

He is my second GSD, 10 years ago I adopted my first one who was 11 weeks at the time of adoption and he was massive already and only seemed to grow like a weed lol.
Do these pups go through a pretty big growth spurt at the 2-3 month mark? This is the youngest pup I've ever adopted.

Him next to my foot, sorry for the ugly foot photo bomb lol. I wanted something for reference, I fit a size 11 shoe in US men's.
20210524_104713.jpg

20210524_074129.jpg

20210524_105820.jpg

Registered
Yes looks a little on the smaller size for 8 weeks, did you see the parents? Are you SURE he's 8 weeks?
These pups grow in all kinds of fits and starts, feed a quality kibble or raw and give them appropriate exercise and see what happens but you won't know much for a few more months to even guess.

This is another new thread with a just short of of 8 week old pup and 15 pounds.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes looks a little on the smaller size for 8 weeks, did you see the parents? Are you SURE he's 8 weeks?
These pups grow in all kinds of fits and starts, feed a quality kibble or raw and give them appropriate exercise and see what happens but you won't know much for a few more months to even guess.

This is another new thread with a just short of of 8 week old pup and 15 pounds.
Wow that is a big pup. At 8 weeks that one looks like my last one did at 11 weeks.
I wasn't able to meet the parents, only pictures of the parents and his siblings. But I am wondering whether he really is 8 weeks or perhaps one of the parents wasn't a Shepherd.

Premium Member
There's always the possibility that he's not 100% GSD, especially since you didn't get to meet the parents. Only a DNA test will tell you for sure and fortunately those are easily available now.

On this site, there are loads of people who regularly post pics and weights of their 8 week old puppies. And if there's anything obvious after seeing all these puppies (besides the fact that they're all cute) is that size/weight varies drastically. Some pups start out small, sometimes due to health issues or large litter size. The easiest way to estimate your pup's adult size is to gauge it from the size of his parents.

What does your vet say about him? Make sure he's checked for parasites or any other health issues that might affect his thriving. Enjoy that cute puppy!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's always the possibility that he's not 100% GSD, especially since you didn't get to meet the parents. Only a DNA test will tell you for sure and fortunately those are easily available now.

On this site, there are loads of people who regularly post pics and weights of their 8 week old puppies. And if there's anything obvious after seeing all these puppies (besides the fact that they're all cute) is that size/weight varies drastically. Some pups start out small, sometimes due to health issues or large litter size. The easiest way to estimate your pup's adult size is to gauge it from the size of his parents.

What does your vet say about him? Make sure he's checked for parasites or any other health issues that might affect his thriving. Enjoy that cute puppy!
Haven't gotten to the vet yet, we've only had him a couple days but his first exam is this week.

Registered
Don鈥檛 look at what he 鈥渟hould鈥 be. Most Shepherds will grow to standard size, eventually . Mine did.

Registered
Sutter Cain (dog), Jori (cat), Skeeter (cat)
It could just be the pictures, but his head looks enormous!! I have the feeling this little guy has some serious growth spurts in his future.

Also, it's possible he was the runt of the litter, and I have seen runts EXPLODE in size when given personal care and attention.

Registered
Wow that is a big pup. At 8 weeks that one looks like my last one did at 11 weeks.
I wasn't able to meet the parents, only pictures of the parents and his siblings. But I am wondering whether he really is 8 weeks or perhaps one of the parents wasn't a Shepherd.
It's not unusual at all for back yard breeders to sell dogs at 6 week. You could have a slightly smaller pup at this point or it could easily be younger.

Super Moderator
coat looks a bit course / wiry for a purebred.
similar to the texture of a husky or corgi or terrier, but not to that extreme.
i suppose time will tell.... cute little tike.

Reactions: KingHemi90

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
coat looks a bit course / wiry for a purebred.
similar to the texture of a husky or corgi or terrier, but not to that extreme.
i suppose time will tell.... cute little tike.
It kinda reminds me of a Husky coat but the dad looks like he's also got a pretty coarse and thick coat. I didn't get to meet the dad so all I got to see of him is a picture.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It took forever but I finally found another thread with some weight info. Few others reported being only around 10lbs by 8 week. Late bloomer then I guess.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update. Had his vet visit today. Tomorrow he will be 11 weeks old.

Overall healthy, no parasites. But they did say he's smaller in stature because he weighed in at 11.4lbs and they also noted one of his testicles hasn't descended yet, we're hoping it drops by his next visit in 4 weeks 馃様 He's also sitting about 11.5" at the withers.

So he has gotten bigger since I posted about his 8 weeks mark, but my initial estimate was way off and he was definitely under 10lbs at the 8 week mark.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts