German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our new GSD puppy 6 days ago. Other than him having diarrhoea up to 6 times a day that started on night of Day 3 - he’s a usual land shark puppy. The diarrhoea is just not letting up though (I’ve taken him to vet already but because he’s so skinny we can’t fast him and have been told to up his meals and to feed him cat food). The cat food made it even worse!! So I stopped it after one meal and gave him his own food mixed with sweet potatoes and some boiled chicken (to help entice him to eat). And here we are on day 6 with no change. Toilet training is obviously just been forgotten for the moment - and I can’t lock him in his crate for any period of time longer than 10 min in case he has an accident. I also knew having a puppy and 2 young kids on the side would be tough going for the first months but this is really tearing my hair out. When he’s not sleeping - he’s very energetic and happy, drinking lots, just doesn’t eat much (but does eat some) - so as vet said, there’s no reason to worry for now.
Any tips to help stop it ? He can’t miss meals he’s way too skinny.

·
Premium Member
4,631 Posts
Which brand of food and treats are you feeding?

To help get the diarrhea under control, it's important to withhold food for 12 hours (for Puppies) or, up to 24 hours (older dogs). This will give his/her gut a period of time to settle down.

Then put dog on a bland diet for a few days.

Purchase some boneless, skinless chicken breast (remove all fat) or ground chicken breast or ground turkey breast. If chicken is a problem, purchase ground chuck or ground round steak. Also purchase regular white rice (the long cooking kind), and a can of PLAIN (NOT pie filling) Pumpkin.

Boil the meat, then rinse grease off of meat very well. Shred/break apart and cool.

White Rice (not instant): make with about 2 times the amount of water suggested. The cook time will take almost twice as long but will make the rice super digestible. Adjust stove heat towards the end of cooking time so as not to burn.

Ratio mix should be 2 cups rice to 1 cup chicken, turkey or beef.

Feeding should be divided into about 4 smaller feedings per day adding 1 to 2 Tablespoon of Pumpkin per meal.

Adjust amount of this mix fed per day for your size dog.

After stool is back to normal, you can begin to slowly add in a little kibble at each feeding until back to normal amount fed.

You can also purchase, at a local Health Food Store (NOT GNC) capsules of Slippery Elm. Give 1 or 2 capsules (depending on size of dog) about an hour before feeding. This will calm the gut. If powder give 1/4th teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight, given 1 hour before meals. You may mix the powder with a small amount of chicken or beef broth, or goat milk.

·
Premium Member
4,631 Posts
Has the vet tested a stool sample for worms or done a very specific test for Giardia or Coccidia?
Did the vet give you any medications?

CAT food????? REALLY?????:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has the vet tested a stool sample for worms or done a very specific test for Giardia or Coccidia?
Did the vet give you any medications?

CAT food????? REALLY?????:rolleyes:
No hasn’t tested for anything. Checked temp and checked for any stomach sensitivity- and all was good. Think the cat food was to tempt him to eat because he was also not eating. But after seeing what that did to him, stopped immediately! Just giving him now a bowl of rice and chicken and pumpkin like you have suggested. He didn’t eat the whole portion though. Hopefully will start seeing results by this evening - fingers crossed!!!
He’s absolutely skin and bones at the moment - only weighs 3.8 kgs

·
Registered
528 Posts
Have the vet test for worms and giardia. Puppies almost always have some kind of worms (usually roundworms) and should be regularly dewormed. Worms can cause nasty diarrhea. So can excess fat in the diet, though I don't see that with the food you're giving him.

·
Registered
181 Posts
He is very cute! Personally, I would be giving a wormer asap, I use Panacur
(Fenbendazole). This also kills parasites that can cause diarrhea. Has your vet given you any kind of wormer at all? Did the breeder worm the puppies, what wormer did they use?

·
Premium Member
4,631 Posts
He is tooooo cute!!!

Is this the food that he was on at the breeder's? If not, it could be one of the reasons he got diarrhea.

When switching foods, always transition with small amounts of new food mixed with old, taking a week or two to change eventually transitioning out the old food.

If stool gets loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

The transition from the chicken/rice diet you are now feeding will be the same. Switch him back to your kibble VERY slowly.

To get this under control......
*Only feed him the Chicken, Rice & pumpkin....NOTHING else.
*For treats cut up tiny pieces of chicken.
*Feeding him 4 SMALL meals daily is key for controlling diarrhea. When their gut is this stressed, feeding large meals will just keep the gut in a tail spin.
*Put him in his crate when your children are eating so that he cannot pick up the left overs on the floor that they accidentally drop. And sweep floor before letting him out.

I think your vet is being way TOO caviler about his condition!!! "so as vet said, there’s no reason to worry for now."
Diarrhea for 3 days (especially for a puppy) IS something to WORRY about!

Is there another vet in your area that you can see?

Nero needs meds and most likely worming and possibly testing for Giardia/Coccidia. Some of these things can be passed on to humans!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He is very cute! Personally, I would be giving a wormer asap, I use Panacur
(Fenbendazole). This also kills parasites that can cause diarrhea. Has your vet given you any kind of wormer at all? Did the breeder worm the puppies, what wormer did they use?
Was regularly dewormed (on schedule) by the breeder and I gave him another deworming tablet yesterday. Using the brand recommended from vet (think it’s a dutch brand).

·
Registered
181 Posts
The medication you listed is the equivalent active ingredients to a medication we have here in the USA called Interceptor Plus, it is used as a monthly preventative for Heartworm and the other general worms. It is NOT typically used (or effective) against Giardia, which might be the cause of your puppies diarrhea. Fenbendazole or Metronidazole are effective against Giardia and needs to be given for several days in a row (not just once) to be effective. Like it has already been said, if your puppy is so weak and thin that it can't even fast for 12 hours, then this could be serious for your puppy. Get your pup to a vet and have them run a test for Giardia and Coccidia. I also hope your pup has been vaccinated for parvo and distemper also!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The medication you listed is the equivalent active ingredients to a medication we have here in the USA called Interceptor Plus, it is used as a monthly preventative for Heartworm and the other general worms. It is NOT typically used (or effective) against Giardia, which might be the cause of your puppies diarrhea. Fenbendazole or Metronidazole are effective against Giardia and needs to be given for several days in a row (not just once) to be effective. Like it has already been said, if your puppy is so weak and thin that it can't even fast for 12 hours, then this could be serious for your puppy. Get your pup to a vet and have them run a test for Giardia and Coccidia. I also hope your pup has been vaccinated for parvo and distemper also!
He’s definitely not weak - very very energetic (happy bounding around) but just very very skinny!! And drinking good. And his appetite is definitely back but following @mom2GSDs advice and giving him small portions so as not to stress his stomach. No vomiting. Just water poo unfortunately ... although after a whole day, it seems to be a bit better (still water) but he’s gone 3 times only (and that’s been after a meal). Definitely will do a fecal test though to check for giardia!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Make sure he's tested for coccidia, too! It's very common as adults build up a tolerance for it, and can pass it to the pups. My friend had a whole litter get it while she was boarding with me...WHAT A MESS!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks
Make sure he's tested for coccidia, too! It's very common as adults build up a tolerance for it, and can pass it to the pups. My friend had a whole litter get it while she was boarding with me...WHAT A MESS!!
thanks!!! Will also check for that... just want him 100% healthy so I can actually start to enjoy him!! And chill a bit

·
Registered
832 Posts
I can can only second what others have said--and it sounds like you're planning on getting a fecal test done that's good---I'm surprised the vet didn't want to do that any way....he's young and his immune system isn't what it will be as an adult....for that reason unless you have something in writing as far as whether or not he's been vaccinated--I'd contact the breeder to see if he's been vaccinated and what he was vaccinated for....based on what you're saying AND not eating much... he's young IMO for a vet to have a wait and see attitude....but again I'm reacting to what you're posting-I'm not a vet...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Tried to edit my other post- but to late-----I want to add that if you'll do some internet searches I believe you'll find cat is not good for dogs....I think I was involved in a thread right here about that...i may have started the thread...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vaccina
I can can only second what others have said--and it sounds like you're planning on getting a fecal test done that's good---I'm surprised the vet didn't want to do that any way....he's young and his immune system isn't what it will be as an adult....for that reason unless you have something in writing as far as whether or not he's been vaccinated--I'd contact the breeder to see if he's been vaccinated and what he was vaccinated for....based on what you're saying AND not eating much... he's young IMO for a vet to have a wait and see attitude....but again I'm reacting to what you're posting-I'm not a vet...
[/QUOTE

vacc

vaccinations up to date ... I’ve bought him from a very reputable breeder. He went to a vet before I bought him and was cleared by that vet - and I need to do follow up vaccinations next week (only if he’s 100% healthy mind you)... I’ve bought him with passport etc ... his diarrhoea started when I started to add wet food to his diet. He then went off his food - and since he didn’t eat for a day, and was under weight ... I didn’t want to risk anything and took him straight to vet. Vet main concern was that he was underweight - because as I said, he’s very very energetic!!Biting, running and jumping like mad when he’s not sleeping ;) ... No fever, no bloated or sore tummy and he’s drinking lots too but just not eating “lots”... unfortunately, thanks to the cat food situation it made his diarrhoea about 100 x worse than it was before I went to the vet!! but his appetite has certainly since returned. Just upsetting about the diarrhoea. I want peace of mind and a healthy dog- so will definitely ask for more tests to be done. But till then he’s getting small meals of rice and chicken.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
vaccinations up to date ... I’ve bought him from a very reputable breeder. He went to a vet before I bought him and was cleared by that vet - and I need to do follow up vaccinations next week (only if he’s 100% healthy mind you)... I’ve bought him with passport etc ... his diarrhoea started when I started to add wet food to his diet. He then went off his food - and since he didn’t eat for a day, and was under weight ... I didn’t want to risk anything and took him straight to vet. Vet main concern was that he was underweight - because as I said, he’s very very energetic!!Biting, running and jumping like mad when he’s not sleeping ;) ... No fever, no bloated or sore tummy and he’s drinking lots too but just not eating “lots”... unfortunately, thanks to the cat food situation it made his diarrhoea about 100 x worse than it was before I went to the vet!! but his appetite has certainly since returned. Just upsetting about the diarrhoea. I want peace of mind and a healthy dog- so will definitely ask for more tests to be done. But till then he’s getting small meals of rice and chicken.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We got our new GSD puppy 6 days ago. Other than him having diarrhoea up to 6 times a day that started on night of Day 3 - he’s a usual land shark puppy. The diarrhoea is just not letting up though (I’ve taken him to vet already but because he’s so skinny we can’t fast him and have been told to up his meals and to feed him cat food). The cat food made it even worse!! So I stopped it after one meal and gave him his own food mixed with sweet potatoes and some boiled chicken (to help entice him to eat). And here we are on day 6 with no change. Toilet training is obviously just been forgotten for the moment - and I can’t lock him in his crate for any period of time longer than 10 min in case he has an accident. I also knew having a puppy and 2 young kids on the side would be tough going for the first months but this is really tearing my hair out. When he’s not sleeping - he’s very energetic and happy, drinking lots, just doesn’t eat much (but does eat some) - so as vet said, there’s no reason to worry for now.
Any tips to help stop it ? He can’t miss meals he’s way too skinny.

·
Registered
9 Posts
9 years ago I got a 2 yr old female rescue GS. She suffered badly from diarrhoea so bad she was passing blood.... many vet visits, many tests, diet of boiled chicken and rice and finally 3 days in the vets on a drip. All to no avail. She was losing weight ...you could count every rib. The vet wanted to put her on prednisone. But I researched everything I could find. Finally I put her on a NO grain diet.... not even rice. And it worked. The diarrhoea stopped and she started putting on weight. The following 4 years every now and then she would have an attack but I could usually trace it to something she had found to eat that she shouldn't have... eg a piece of shortbread that had fallen on the floor. Over the past 3 or 4 years she hasn't suffered from anything at all. She is still on grain free but can now tolerate some small amounts of grain food... eg a biscuit does not upset her anymore. The food I give her is Ivory Coat which is Australian … don't know whether it is available in the US. But each year she goes to the vet ( different vet from the first one ) for her check ups , he always remarks on how healthy she is and how good her coat looks. So maybe you could try a grain free diet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts