German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
new to the boards, and in need of a little advice with my puppy
my 8 week GSD seems to be extremely fearful of people, especially my grandmother, he will not go into the same room with her, and if he does he'll do his best to avoid her as much as possible, when he meets new people (say my friends) sometimes he will literally take off in the opposite direction, The breeder told me to have my guests ignore the puppy, and wait for him to go to them, but he just doesn't budge, is he just to young right now? Or is there something else i should do?

Thanks a lot for your help :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
How long have you had your puppy? Since he's only 8 weeks I'm guessing you just got him. Give him time to adjust. He doesn't know you yet. Sounds like being around new people is overwhelming him so just take it slow and give him time to get to know and trust you.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Ugh... this is not normal behavior at all for an 8 week old puppy. A puppy that age should not be shy or timid.

Who's the breeder if you don't mind me asking? Did you meet your pups mom and dad? How were their temperaments?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I agree with Paul. The pup should show confidence and be outgoing. If it shows a bit of hesitation then recovers, no big deal, but not 'extremely fearful'.
You'll have your work cut out for you for the life of this dog. Are you sure you want to deal w/ that?
How were the other pups in the litter? Did you choose this one, or did the breeder pick out the pup for you?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had him for a week now, so 7 weeks and a bit was when I got him, i've seen both parents, and both seemed great, I got him from woodside german shepherds

he's fine with the family everyone, except my grandma who he does not go near, he does not show any confidence when around others however, when first meeting new people he will be incredibly shy and distant, he will stand at a distance and watch, if they approach him he will back away, but after awhile he starts to settle in and relax, and then will approach them,

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
ok... just checked out their website. They're located in British Columbia, correct? I never heard of them... but at least you didn't get your puppy from some newspaper article for $200 puppies. These are American/Canadian show line dogs. They look like they OFA and show their dogs, so at least they look to be legitimate breeders.

Can you explain exactly what happens when this puppy starts acting fearful? Do you comfort him when he starts acting this way?

How was he when he met you? Was he acting fearful?

How did you choose this puppy? Did the breeder pick the puppy for you or did you get to choose?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes they are

she choose him for us, when we met him, he was fine, greeted us very friendly, ran around walked around the older adult dogs,

bringing him home he has been pretty lethargic, we try our best to play with him in the back yard, he will for a good 10-15 mins then just lay down and do nothing, so we just bring him back inside

He's acts differently in each scenario, the best response I've gotten from him is, he'll look at the person for a good 10-15 seconds go sniff him, and then be completely aloof and ignore the stranger

other times when i take him to the front yard if a stranger walks past, he'll run back about a good 5-6 feet and watch the person walk by,
at first he was afraid of cars going down the street, but doesn't seem to care now
the most troubling thing is how he acts around my grandmother, at first it was a fear, now he'll walk past her and won't even look at her or acknowledge her, we've tried making my grandma give him treats, but he'll just eat them and walk away
he hasn't shown any signs of aggression at all if that helps

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
How many vaccines has he had? Did the breeder vax before you brought him home? And was it a 7,5 or 3 way? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
ok... just checked out their website. They're located in British Columbia, correct? I never heard of them... but at least you didn't get your puppy from some newspaper article for $200 puppies. These are American/Canadian show line dogs. They look like they OFA and show their dogs, so at least they look to be legitimate breeders.

Can you explain exactly what happens when this puppy starts acting fearful? Do you comfort him when he starts acting this way?

How was he when he met you? Was he acting fearful?

How did you choose this puppy? Did the breeder pick the puppy for you or did you get to choose?
Does this provide any guarantee that a puppy will not be fearful?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
The 3, 5, 7 way shots are how many things they're vaccinating for in one shot. A 3 way shot will have a combo of three different vaccinations combined in one shot. A 5 way shot will have a combo of five vaccinations. If you have his puppy records from the breeder, it should say exactly what he received.

It sounds like you're doing a good job with him so far based on what you're saying. It's not easy to assess the situation without being there though. Did you ask your breeder if any other puppies from the litter are having issues adjusting? Has the two parents ever been bred to eachother prior to this breeding?

We have a lot of very knowledgeable breeders here. It's most likely not a training issue since the pup is so young. Stick around... Hopefully one of the breeders will provide some input soon enough.

Does this provide any guarantee that a puppy will not be fearful?
Nothing guarantees a puppy won't be fearful.

I was just pointing out that the breeder is at least somewhat legit. Not your typical newspaper, puppy on the cheap, breeder. That's all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it was a 5 way, I haven't asked her about the other litter, when i called she told me to give it a couple weeks for him to completely adjust, she also told me to come back in 2 weeks, so she could administer the second set of shots, and see how he has progressed.

I have also taken him to the vet, and the vet says he is fine and healthy

·
Registered
792 Posts
If he's shy, take him out a lot so he can meet lots of new people, but I would carry him. There's a lot of nasty things that he can pick up and become very ill.

You mentioned that he didn't have much of an appetite. Well, what is his stool like? Firm and separate? Separate logs but a bit mushy? Pudding like? Watery?

Good luck.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
If he's shy, take him out a lot so he can meet lots of new people, but I would carry him. There's a lot of nasty things that he can pick up and become very ill.

You mentioned that he didn't have much of an appetite. Well, what is his stool like? Firm and separate? Separate logs but a bit mushy? Pudding like? Watery?

Good luck.
I wouldn't overwhelm him to socialize him. Especially if he is not healthy(not saying he isn't, but most pups are very energetic) Socializing should be adjusted to the pups ability and managed to grow the pup to a confidence level that is solid. Many ways to do social encounters that don't involve people or other dogs, but sounds, scents and texture. Praise goes a long way with just that type for a week or two.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Hm. If he can only play for 10 min. before laying down, you need to get him in and get him checked out, it sounds like.
He could have a heart issue or something of that sort.

I have also taken him to the vet, and the vet says he is fine and healthy
I just saw this...when was his last check up? As others said, are there other symptoms?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
his last visit was 4 days ago

yes his appetite at the beginning was extremely small, but now he is eating a lot more compared to then, not sure what normal is though for him, i pour about 3 cups he'll eat about a cup and a half at least. from people who have seen him when we first brought him home, they say he's getting bigger, but skinnier as well, not sure if that is normal

his stool is usually separate logs firm, but on occasion he will have soft stool, he's had diarrhea a few times

for walks at first he was unsure about going, today i took him out and he seemed a lot more confident in his walk, curious sniffing a few things ( i only took him around my block just to be safe)

a few strangers did walk by, he didn't run away though he did back away and watch them pass, did not engage them at all

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does he like his food? Does he like treats?

How often does he see new people?

he gets extremely hyper when i start filling his bowl, when i put it down he'll more pick at pieces rather than just gobble it down, the most I've seen him eat is about 2 cups, but it varies

so far the last week i'd say he's met a good 13-15 people

i've noticed at home he's a lot more confident meeting strangers than outside

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Assuming it's nothing medical, it just sounds like you've got a puppy who's taking a while to adjust to his new home.

You said he was playful and confident at his breeders home, right? Now he's in a new home and it's just taking time. That's how I'm perceiving the situation.

Give the dog time. DO NOT RUSH OR FORCE ANYTHING. Keep everything 100% positive or it can cause a serious set back. Keep doing the socialization thing and all that and report back in a week or two with an update. I'll bet he's going to start warming up and feel more confident once he feels more comfortable with his new family and home. It's just not going to be an overnight thing like it is with some other puppies.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Has he been wormed regularly? They do need a few wormings a couple weeks apart for 3 or 4x's. Even clear stool samples won't guarantee the pup is free of parasites.
Use much of his food for training, not in a bowl. If it comes from your hand with some commands/praise it will be more valuable. And for young pups(under 4 months) 3 meals a day is what I'd do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts