German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone my 8 week long coat gsd seems to have weak hind legs. He doesn't tumble much but when he walks his lifts his hind legs really high sometimes and seems to lack strength is this normal?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
doesn't sound good at all.

are you prepared to deal with this - well - forever?

so what are the sire and dam like . What does the breeder think.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Can you post video? Some wgsl dogs can be cow hocked, not sure if that's what you are seeing though.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If he is really 8 weeks he should have been walking longer than 2 weeks. Could he be younger?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So he will be 8 weeks tomorrow. Breeder is insisting we give him another few weeks, I will take him to the vet this week to make sure that nothing is wrong. He has no pain or discomfort and he his not dragging his paws. Hopefully nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Your puppy is very lame. There is definitely something wrong with him.

As for pain, animals don't limp if there is no pain. They tend to hide their discomfort because it makes them vulnerable. If there were no pain, he would not be limping, and it looks as though he can hardly walk at times.

I would be getting this pup to the vet as soon as possible. I hope it's nothing too serious and that he can recover quickly.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Agree with Pawsed! Get this checked out NOW! If there are serious problems with the pup's joints, the breeder needs to be held responsible. The longer you keep the pup, the more likely the breeder is to say "Oh, it was something YOU did to cause the problem!"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agree with Pawsed! Get this checked out NOW! If there are serious problems with the pup's joints, the breeder needs to be held responsible. The longer you keep the pup, the more likely the breeder is to say "Oh, it was something YOU did to cause the problem!"
Will definitely go and get the pup checked out now, all these scares are eating away at me. He seems happy and is running around a bit more today, but maybe ill take the advice from this forum and not the breeder.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I picked up one of my GSD's at 6 weeks old (before legally it was 8 here) he was much more active than yours looks and he was much smoother in his movements. Regardless of age there is an issue.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
sorry there is something wrong --

overall the pup does not look to be in good condition -- robust health does not come to mind

the dog might have soft tissue injury from being stomped on by a larger dog

this is one of the risks when you mix very young pups with pups from an older litter ,
or with the general population of adults

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry there is something wrong --

overall the pup does not look to be in good condition -- robust health does not come to mind

the dog might have soft tissue injury from being stomped on by a larger dog

this is one of the risks when you mix very young pups with pups from an older litter ,
or with the general population of adults
Took him to one walk in vet clinic today and he said things look to be fine, told me it looks like he grew up on slippery floors and that he will grow out of his walk. I'm going on Wednesday to a vet recommended by a family member and see if his conclusion is a little more informed. I will keep this post updated just so everyone cane follow along if they like. He said the King Shepherd/Long Coat GSD has a different timeline sometimes depending on the breeders and to just keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
It does look like an injury or some kind of structural abnormality. You said he is a King Shepherd? Do you have pics of sire and dam? Looking at their structure may help us.

I am glad you are going to a 2nd opinion by a recommended vet. Slippery floors does not seem like the culprit here, and I agree with what other poster said, pup doesn't look overall super healthy. Sorry you are dealing with this as I am sure you already love the pup. Name? Keep your chin up, it may be an injury and through TLC you may be able to fix it, and get that pup looking good and healthy too.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts