German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked up our puppy on Saturday and so far he has been really wonderful and doing so well. I just wanted to ask about some specific things -

1. we noticed his “witching hour” is around 7pm. We didn’t manage this well the first 2 nights, so we ended up probably encouraging him more by playing with him when he got into this mood, so tonight we set up the play pen in the living room so he was next to us while we were on the couch and put toys, stuffed Kong, his bed and water in there and as soon as we noticed him getting mouthy, biting at the curtains and getting overexcited, we gave him some treats in the pen and closed him in there. He was crying and jumping up on the sides for a good while and then biting at his bed (maybe in frustration?) so we stepped in, redirected to a toy and stepped back out. I tried to ignore him for about 20 minutes and then we let him out and he finally settled down in his bed and went to sleep.

Is this the right way to try to avoid the witching hour? We had already fed him and taken him out to play and go potty. When I tried to play with him inside, he was just nippy and more interested in my hands and legs than the toys so we figured play pen was the best way to avoid bad behaviors during that time. I felt bad though having him crying while he could see me. Should I have moved to another room out of sight instead? How do you handle the “witching hour” with your pups?

2- when he was settling down on his bed after removing him from the play pen, he climbed over the side of the bed and started humping the bed so I grabbed the side of his collar gently and pulled him back and told him no. He tried it be more time and I repeated the same. Then he laid down and went to sleep. Is this normal behavior for an 8 week puppy? and is this the correct way to discourage that?

thank you for any input!

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
I use those zoomie times for training. I head outside and use that energy for another 10-20 minutes of quality time.

Humping is normal behavior. If it persists or is something you wish to extinguish, training an alternate behavior is the easiest way around it. Here, down, place, kennel, sit, whatever.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
A good portion of dogs get evening zoomies. Some owners ignore it, some embrace it. I encourage it. It gave birth to couch vaulting which some of us would like to see made into a competition event!
That's not at all helpful to you is it?
Go with David's plan then. It's probably a better one.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
How do you handle the “witching hour” with your pups?
An alternative not yet suggested: Enjoy their fun! I neither utilize nor encourage zoomies, but it's like the laughter of a small baby, can't help not taking pleasure in their fun, and more often than not laughing with them!

Relax, it goes away all too quickly! Congratulations on your new puppy (a picture of which I'm sure you WILL post soon!)!

Reactions: JunoVonNarnia

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd take my puppy into the, empty, garage and play with the 'flirt stick'. Works great!

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Never heard it called the witching hour but it sounds like a good time to go out for a pee break and 10 minute walk. Wear her out at every opportunity, appropriately for a 8 week old.

You give up couch and TV time for a few weeks/months; they're your world for at least the next 4 (housebroken, engagement, general commands)

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I'd take my puppy into the, empty, garage and play with the 'flirt stick'. Works great!
Interesting.
A flirt stick is generally thought of as an older than 8 week puppy tool and never for a garage floor surface, that's a recipe for serious injury. At least in any way I've ever seen a flirt stick used. Maybe for just pulling it ahead of the pup and letting it follow but I'd just use a clean rag or stuffy tied to a cotton rope for that.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Interesting.
A flirt stick is generally thought of as an older than 8 week puppy tool and never for a garage floor surface, that's a recipe for serious injury. At least in any way I've ever seen a flirt stick used. Maybe for just pulling it ahead of the pup and letting it follow but I'd just use a clean rag or stuffy tied to a cotton rope for that.
Hey WNGD, thanks for bringing how I word things to my attention. Hadn't really thought about it, there are new puppy owners here that will take what I say word for word. I'll try and be more succinct.

No worries, my garage floor is not slick, it's actually not a garage, it's a big shop. He chases it, and tug of war. I only use the shop if it's dark out no yard lights, and things here will eat small puppies, or nasty weather, otherwise we play with it outside. Don't worry, we don't over do it. Oh,and my 'flirt stick' is not a normal flirt stick, it's a lunge whip with a soft toy attached.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 13 weeks old pup. I manage her zoomies or witching out by going outside.

I cannot have her in the house and it’s almost pointless to try to redirect. It becomes more of a battle of frustrations on both our parts. So we go outside, we play. We train. I just let her burn her energy off that way.

I rather do the redirecting or correcting when I know she’ll retain the knowledge of my expectations of her behavior in the house. Zoomie time. Forget it. Thankfully those moments in the house are getting further and further apart as she gets older.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts