German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My boyfriend and I recently bought what we think to be is a 8 week old german shepherd puppy who we named Zeus. However, a lot of our family, friends and strangers take a look at him and think he may be part lab. When we went to pick him up we saw his mom (she was definitely a german) but we didn’t see his dad. Any ideas if he’s fully a german shepherd or if he’s a mix? It would definitely help to determine his temperament etc. Pics included!! Thank you
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Wood Flooring

Dog breed Dog Carnivore Gesture Felidae

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Working animal

Dog Wheel Tire Carnivore Dog breed

·
Registered
84 Posts
He looks more like a labrador pup than a GSD one. Realistically he's so young it's impossible to know by appearance. Even as an adult appearances can be deceiving. The best way to determine what the pup is would be to do a DNA test.

I did a DNA test on my two shelter dogs I currently have. One, out of curiosity to see what breeds they are, and two to see what the health tests will show once I get the results. I went with the Embark Vet test. Currently they are the top rated DNA testers in the market.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He looks more like a labrador pup than a GSD one. Realistically he's so young it's impossible to know by appearance. Even as an adult appearances can be deceiving. The best way to determine what the pup is would be to do a DNA test.

I did a DNA test on my two shelter dogs I currently have. One, out of curiosity to see what breeds they are, and two to see what the health tests will show once I get the results. I went with the Embark Vet test. Currently they are the top rated DNA testers in the market.
Thank you! We will look into that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Even in the 'erect' position (sprawled out on the floor), those are NOT German shepherd ears! I think your friends are right. There's definitely something else in there, most likely lab!

Here's what a black GSD pup looks like at that age:
View attachment 589167

View attachment 589168
These are his litter mates! He was “Jack” now named Zeus. They listed him as GSD, and one came out with the typical GSD colors which is why we think he may be half GSD half lab possibly. Still considering the DNA test option!
Dog Vertebrate Black Dog breed Carnivore
Dog Photograph Vertebrate Carnivore Mammal

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Without a DNA test, it is impossible to tell just by looking. we use Embark for our shelter dogs and have been satisfied. Duke (the dog in the photo on the left) is 84% German Shepherd. The rest is Mutt. Miss Elke turned out to be purebred and not have the genetic faults that are critical in German Shepherds. It helps to know what health risks to watch for. Either way your puppy is one cute fella. If you don't want him I'll take him. I should also tell you my best friend, Jake, was a black, floppy eared "German Shepherd". He was the best dog ever and I miss him terribly. I wish you had joined sooner because you could have gotten advice about selecting a breeder, but welcome to the forum. You will find this forum is THE place to find out almost anything about German Shepherds from some very knowledgeable and experienced people. As long as Zeus is happy and healthy, that is what is important. Jake:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Without a DNA test, it is impossible to tell just by looking. we use Embark for our shelter dogs and have been satisfied. Duke (the dog in the photo on the left) is 84% German Shepherd. The rest is Mutt. Miss Elke turned out to be purebred and not have the genetic faults that are critical in German Shepherds. It helps to know what health risks to watch for. Either way your puppy is one cute fella. If you don't want him I'll take him. I should also tell you my best friend, Jake, was a black, floppy eared "German Shepherd". He was the best dog ever and I miss him terribly. I wish you had joined sooner because you could have gotten advice about selecting a breeder, but welcome to the forum. You will find this forum is THE place to find out almost anything about German Shepherds from some very knowledgeable and experienced people. As long as Zeus is happy and healthy, that is what is important. Jake:
Thank you so much! Sorry to hear about Jake :( I think we’ll have to just go with the DNA test. I’m happy to be apart of the forum now, I’ve already learned so much!!

·
Administrator
10,682 Posts
looking at the site where you found him…. he could very well be purebred, which does not necessarily equate to well-bred, and i wouldn’t get caught up in appearance as far as size, structure, if his ears stand, etc. i’d wait to do a dna test until he was a year old… if you still had concerns. says he’s akc registered - you could also request his pedigree?

black gsd puppy owners often have to defend them against being part lab. his ear set and shape do not appear totally gsd, but i’ve seen stranger things.

start researching and identifying a breed experienced trainer… look into potentially getting pet insurance… and enjoy your sweet pup!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The website you got him from will have a ton of BYB puppies... That's the first red flag.... Ear set and shape is not a GSD, as well as the muzzle... More than likely you have a GSD/Lab mix. With the lab in there, the ears will not stand.... Just enjoy your puppy and use this as a learning exerience... There's a reason to research and go with reputable breeders... ;)

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Lancaster Puppies isn’t a breeder, it’s a broker for many different breeds. Do you have a pedigree? If not that would be a red flag in addition to appearance. Looking at their huge list of dogs, including Mastiffs and Bully breeds, I would definitely get an Embark DNA test so you know what you are dealing with. Even if the puppy is a Lab GSD mix, he will have different traits and behaviors that a purebred. It could affect your training method and the advice we give you herel even on something as basic as diet or best training methods.

·
Administrator
10,682 Posts
Lancaster Puppies isn’t a breeder, it’s a broker for many different breeds.
my guess would be that it’s closer to a classified site serving lancaster county and surrounding areas. all seller contact is public without any contact with the site owners.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Lancaster Puppies is basically a broker site. Breeders list their litters on it, and they take a commission for handling the sales.

It's entirely possible that this is a multiple sire litter, since some of the pups do look more shepherd. Since they are advertised as AKC registerable (I'm assuming you got the application form?), you could always contact AKC.

·
Registered
16,369 Posts
Your pup's temperament will reveal itself. As to what he looks like --- I have to laugh at friends' opinions. I adopted a 2 yo GSD to have my friend say "He's GSD xed with what?" With GSD. She was concerned because the hair on his back had a wave to it. Yeah, right, I really count on the expertise of friends...

Not all GSDs ears stand, not all are black and silver or black and tan. Not all have stock coats. You care enough to spend money on a DNA test? Are they accurate?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts