German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our first GSD, he is wonderful but he is very aggressive and I dont want to be to harsh but he is really being aggressive and biting to break the skin. How do I control this at just 8 weeks.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He needs to know he's hurting you, like his littermates taught him. So when he bites, make a really really loud yelp or 'ouch'- act like he's killing you! Even if he just bites a pant leg or sleeve. The other pups yelped when they were bitten too hard so you need to, too. There's many threads on this subject but that's the way to start teaching him not to bite. Keep some toys around and stick something else in his mouth when he wants to bite. Congratulations on the new pup! Enjoy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh thank you I will try that I am trying to hard to do everything right and he is only 8 weeks old, lol I think it was easier to raise my 3 children lol.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
WELCOME to the wonderful world of GSD's!

Have lots of safe chew toys available and re-direct his biting to them. If he gets to ramped up his crate will be a nice place to chill out. But keep the crate a happy place to be, give him a treat when you crate him so he doesn't associate it to "punishment/time out"
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/85888-teaching-bite-inhibition.html a good thread to start on, then keep on reading!!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh thank you, I just filled out the info for his name...which is Mozart lol. I also just uploaded a puppy picture....these dogs are wonderful if we can make it thru the puppy stage lol.....

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Awww how can something so cute be aggressive? :)
If you aren't use to the breed it's easy to think you might have an aggressive puppy on your hands but honest, he's just being a puppy. Lots of good threads about how to handle it all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
He may be mouthing more than biting. Puppy teeth are really sharp...so it may feel like an aggressive bite.

Like others have said...yelp "No!" when he nips at you and make sure he has plenty of other stuff to chew on.

We also had success breaking the "mouthing" habit on other dogs by gently squeezing their lower jaw when they mouthed us...just put your thumb on top of his tongue and squeeze a few seconds. It won't hurt him, but he won't like it and will learn to avoid it by not mouthing you...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Awww how can something so cute be aggressive? :)
If you aren't use to the breed it's easy to think you might have an aggressive puppy on your hands but honest, he's just being a puppy. Lots of good threads about how to handle it all.
Agreed, It sounds like a normal GSD puppy.:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your ideas and support, I really think I am going to like this forum site lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
He is precious! Aww (must resist puppy fever)... can't add anything more helpful than what has already been suggested. So, just wanna welcome you. :)

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
ooohhhhh he's a baby white gsd! SO cute. welcome to the board, lots of good knowledge and info here!

more pictures please!!!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
WELCOME to the wonderful world of GSD's!

Have lots of safe chew toys available and re-direct his biting to them. If he gets to ramped up his crate will be a nice place to chill out. But keep the crate a happy place to be, give him a treat when you crate him so he doesn't associate it to "punishment/time out"
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/85888-teaching-bite-inhibition.html a good thread to start on, then keep on reading!!
Agreed and Welcome!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I took my GSD home when he was 9 weeks old, he was teething and chewing on my hands and legs the whole time, I just bought him lots of chewing toys and bones then he left me alone. He's no longer teething but he still chews on me when we play, but at least he knows when to stop when I say No or Ah.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Brody eventually learned also...but he still tries here and there. I always just take my hands away from him or redirect it towards a toy!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Oh!! He is so cute! Welcome!

He isn't being aggressive, thats normal puppy behavior. Molly did when she was a puppy, but we took care of it. The links provided will help!!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
at 8 weeks old i doubt your pup is being
aggressive. every part of your body and everything
in your house is his to nip/bite. when my pup nipped
i use to gently hold him by some neck fur and say "no biting".
i didn't yell. then i would rub his face to see if would
nip again. if he nipped i repeated said action (he always nipped
again). i think he grew out of it. i rember once when my pup was 6 months old he walked by me and put his mouth around my knee. he kept moving.
he went into the livingroom, turned towards me, laid down
and gave me this "what" look.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I admit it, I've broken out the spray bottle. Our little girl thinks everything on the bite inhibition thread is an invitation to bite more and harder.

And, no, not the least worried about her being afraid of water. She is "snorkeling" in her baby pool outside every chance she gets!

She does, however, let go !!!! with one squirt on the butt with water. Then I get a chance to re-direct once she's released those crocodile jaws.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts