German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appreciate the many who post here and are welcoming suggestions for my pup Luke's issues. I have had him since he was 9 wks old, we have a 7 yr old rescue GSD neutered male and house guest 5 yr old spayed Siberian. Luke has been around them since arriving home with us. No problems everyone loves each other and Luke has a blast playing with them. The problem is when we are elsewhere, he has been through 2 6wk obedience courses. doesn't really warm up to other dogs, wary, if high energy dog, he total avoids, he needed to be coaxed away from wall, will just lie down there and observe, will do things in class no oomph like at home.

Well we just spent 3 Saturdays for 2 hr each dropped off at a really great doggy daycare, and same thing, just avoids, lies against the wall doesn't interact. No point in going back was the advice from staff, he's not enjoying it and I agree. Not reactive to the other dogs. When someone new or someone hasn't been to our house in awhile he leaves the room and prefers to hang out in our bedroom to avoid them.

How can I help this boy gain some confidence, the obedience classes bore him to death after 20-30 minutes tops.
I am concerned he will become a problem if shyness will lead him to aggression when he matures. I don't expect him to be a lab, but just a little more social especially when people come over. I have always had GSD over past 40 + years, he is my first low to mod energy guy ever. PS he is healthy. and at home with our pack he's normal.
Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
From what you have described, I don't think Luke is shy but reserved. He isn't afraid, he just isn't interested in meeting strangers, whether dogs or people. He prefers to only interact with his family. I can understand where he would find obedience boring and with his reserved temperament, a class or daycare isn't for him. If you do want him to be sociable with your guests, have them give him a treat. He could sit first and then the guest could give him a treat. If the treats are high value, Luke may find that it is worth his while to be sociable :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try the treats when people come over. His avoidance is strong, and if I make him come out he will go to another part of the house furthest away from guests and its a small house! We don't have a lot of company. We do host a family 4th party, and there will be young children around. I will be preoccupied w/hosting, so I probably will keep him in the bedroom as I won't be able to watch him closely with all the "new" people. I try to keep taking him to public places. He freaked at the dog park his first time, we took him alone on leash, and just wanted to run off. We have gone back with him and our older dog, and Luke was bolder and went on the offense when dogs approached him, did some leash lunging at them. So dog parks not so fun for him either. He does appear scared sometimes, but not hiding behind me, just not sure of himself. he usually walks a little ahead, we are working on the heel. But we do some loose leash walking too. Do you think he will grow out of this with time? Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I think Luke will get better in time with training and patience. I would train Luke with the older dog to develop his confidence, go to the dog park, together like you did, and walk them together. Hopefully you will meet other people on your walks, and when you do, if your older dog is friendly, give the person a treat to give to your older dog when he is siting- just let Luke watch, don't force him to interact. Do the same in the house - you may have to have Luke on his leash -keep it loose - again let Luke see the other dog - interacting and getting a treat. Also just take both dogs to a park - sit on a bench and let them watch people. You also can do this with Luke alone - let him watch. When you walk him alone, if you want to talk to someone- have him sit by your side when you stop - you can give the person a treat to give to Luke - but if Luke backs away - don't force him - but insist he sit, continue to talk and then go. The idea is to get Luke to understand that he will not be forced into interacting but at the same time, he won't get a tasty treat. It is his choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts