German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,
My purebred GSD (schutzhund kennel with a German bitch) has always had a weak ear. The puppy pic is her at only 6 weeks. I've given her chew toys and bones galore (an hour of chewing/day starting at 5 months, to the point I worried about her teeth). She eats a quality premade raw diet with green lipped mussel supplements and chicken feet for collagen. Starting at 6 months when she was done teething, the breeder and I began taping her ear and the base came up. I've also used a foam insert with mild success. What I've discovered though is that it seems to be muscular since she CAN hold it up when she's on alert. As soon as she relaxes or she runs, it flops to the side again. She also doesn't twitch that ear as much when she's listening. I feel like at this point I'm perhaps better off leaving it untapped so she learns to use the muscle and not let it get lazy with tape. The foam I'm concerned adds more weight (albeit tiny) and makes it harder for her. I've read it can take up to 10 months for slower dogs and clearly she had a lot of work to do. I don't want to wait too long nor do I want to interfere too much and set her back. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Floppy ear is not muscular issue - it is cartilage issue. The reason she gets erected ears when focussing is because she is using muscle to give extra support to get her ear up - if the cartilage is strong then she would not be relying on the muscle tone to get it up. The reason u do taping is to give a chance to her cartilage to strengthen without going through so much bending/flopping motion. Once cartilage strengthen enough then her ears should be erected all the time and not just when she is using extra muscle tone etc.
Of course it is up to you to decide what to do with her ears :) floppy ear is cute as it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Floppy ear is not muscular issue - it is cartilage issue. The reason she gets erected ears when focussing is because she is using muscle to give extra support to get her ear up - if the cartilage is strong then she would not be relying on the muscle tone to get it up. The reason u do taping is to give a chance to her cartilage to strengthen without going through so much bending/flopping motion. Once cartilage strengthen enough then her ears should be erected all the time and not just when she is using extra muscle tone etc.
Of course it is up to you to decide what to do with her ears :) floppy ear is cute as it is.
Thanks, that gives me hope! Of course I love her regardless but if I can do something now then I want to do it instead of always wondering "what if". I'll overdose her on cartilage support while it's in position and 🤞. She's always been a bit of a later bloomer, even with teething! The breeder can feel the thinner cartilage when feeling both ears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts