German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about the last month Moose has been itching really bad, no red spots, no fleas. Hes been on Purina puppy food for large breed, and we just switched to Blue Wilderness puppy food, I ready that this should help with the itch he has, anything I need to look out for, is their a cheaper brand then $50 a bag, what dry food ingredients do I need to stay away from

19146226_1797061083651470_7003423907343797506_n.jpg This is him at a little over 7 months old

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Check labels of kibble AND treats:

These are a few items in dog food AND treats that dogs are sensitive to:
*Chicken Items (the biggest offender)- Chicken Meat, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat, Eggs, Chicken Cartilage.
*Grains of all kinds (including oatmeal and oatmeal shampoo!).
*Some are even sensitive of the "Non-Gluten" grains, Lentils/Pea items, Potatoes, Flax seed or oil, certain Fish and Yeast supplements. So read the ingredient list VERY carefully.

Moms :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check labels of kibble AND treats:

These are a few items in dog food AND treats that dogs are sensitive to:
*Chicken Items (the biggest offender)- Chicken Meat, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat, Eggs, Chicken Cartilage.
*Grains of all kinds (including oatmeal and oatmeal shampoo!).
*Some are even sensitive of the "Non-Gluten" grains, Lentils/Pea items, Potatoes, Flax seed or oil, certain Fish and Yeast supplements. So read the ingredient list VERY carefully.

Thanks! I may look into foods with lamb instead of chicken

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Since your dog is 8 months old, it does not have to be "Puppy" food. Some people never feed "Puppy" food.

Just make sure that the label states that it is for "All Life Stages".

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Also stay away from corn and its products. Check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com The better brands may be more expensive but your dog's health is sure worth it. And yes, no more puppy food for this teenager.
On another note, you could ask your vet for a skin scraping to find out if there are mites or something else that needs to be treated.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So hes good to switch off of puppy food now? Ive read a lot of people have them eating lamb and instead of listing all the hundreds of things they are typically allergic to, what can they have?

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Put your dog on a LID food. Work thru those to see how they work. He could just have dry sensitive skin. You can add fish oil and primrose oil for that. I also just started using Dermoscent topical from Bayer and it's made a difference from the dry weather.

If all else fails, because it could just be environmental....I know I know everyone likes to blame the food...talk to your vet about allergy meds and a shot that shuts down itching.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
I would go with a ONE protein diet including treats..... nothing else (NO cheating ;)) for at least 8-10 weeks to see if there is a difference.

Here are two kibbles and treats to choose from:
The following does not contain ANY Chicken items, grains, Flax, Yeast supplements or Potato’s.

Acana Limited “Singles”: Pork & Butternut Squash: http://acana.com/our-foods/singles/p...ternut-squash/
Ingredients: Deboned pork*, pork meal, green lentils, red lentils, pork liver*, butternut squash*, pork fat, green peas, yellow peas, canola oil, algae, garbanzo beans, pumpkin*, carrots*, pork kidney*, freeze-dried pork liver, kelp, chicory root, ginger root, peppermint leaf, lemon balm, mixed tocopherols (preservative), dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
Pork & Squash Limited treats: https://acana.com/our-foods/dog-food...uash/?lang=usa
Store locator: Store Locator | Acana

Nature's Variety "Instinct" Limited not Nature's Recipe): Limited Ingredient Lamb: (can be purchased at PetsMart, Petco) Instinct Grain-Free Limited Ingredient Kibble Dog Food - Lamb | Instinct Pet Food for Dogs and Cats
Ingredients: Lamb Meal, Peas, Tapioca, Pea Protein, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Lamb, Natural Flavor, Montmorillonite Clay, Coconut Oil, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite), Green Tea Extract, Rosemary Extract
Treats: http://www.naturesvariety.com/products/treats/Instinct/biscuits/LIDLamb
Store locator: Find A Store | Nature's Variety

1 - 8 of 8 Posts