German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new.
I have two big boys, father and son.
My little guy, Cato is about 8 months old now,approximately 75lbs, and a few days ago I noticed he was favoring his left front paw. Not to the point of holding it up and hopping, but just seeming to step on it gingerly, and only trying to use the toe pads if that makes sense.

Upon closer examination I found a tiny cut on the large pad, cleaned it out,nothing was in it,it wasn't deep, it wasn't even bleeding.
I gave it a couple days, it's almost gone, but he's still got the same limp.

I checked again last night to make sure there was nothing else causing it, but I found a bump under the skin right above his large paw pad. It's approximately over where his metacarpal is where there would typically be a bit of an indent, and while he let's me touch it, putting pressure on it causes him pain. It's not hairless or anything, and it's slightly firm, but not hard.

I can't see any sort of entry point for it to be caused by a puncture wound and something getting stuck in it. Likewise, it's just slightly red probably from him licking it a little bit, not really warm to the touch that I can tell.
It's still been fairly cold here, so I can't imagine it being an insect bite and as for trauma, having two big rough housing dogs, a couple yips now and then is fairly common in our house, but I can't think of anything that stands out that would have caused a great deal of pain.

He's still eating and drinking fine, still his happy bouncy self, still wants to run around and rough house. The limp is the only thing that gives away that something is wrong.

Any ideas what it could be?
I do plan to take him to the vet on Monday. Our regular vet is on vacation until then and I will never again entrust my pets to the other vet here, but I'd like some ideas.
I am doing epsom salt baths/soaks for him twice per day, and I do have an antibiotic ointment I've been putting on it just in case there is some infection there, but I feel awful that he's in pain.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
My cat had that. It was an abscess. I know how you feel about the other vet - but 3 days is too long to wait, especially if there could an infection - I would try to take him in today - you can always check back with your regular vet on Monday.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update- I ended up making the 1.5 hour drive to an out of town vet that a family member recommended. The vet figures he stepped on a thorn or something and it caused an infection so he's on oral and topical antibiotics for 10 days as well as painkillers. If it's not better by the end of the 10 days though, I'll have to bring him back to ensure it's not something bone related.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I had a dog that had the same thing after I put down grass seed. Hope your pooch feels better soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2.5 yrs old boy front paw swollen & he was hoppy holding it up. Did not know what could have caused it or any trauma. He does rough house with his 2.5 yr old sister so thought a sprain. 2 days later worse not better. Took my baby boy to the Vet and it is an abscess. $750 later but he is on the road to recovery. Anti-biotics, anti-inflammatory pills, ice baths x3 daily. Poor guy is still drugged up from the sedation, X-rays & needle to drain but so happy he will be OK. Fingers crossed blood test come back tomorrow clear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts