German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rose has been in heat for about 3 weeks now. The cleaning up I don't mind since it's been pretty light. But outside during our walks I've noticed she's more reactive to other dogs. Before I could use the leave it command which was pretty good, but now I have to literally go down to her level, grab her scruff & say sit. I will hold her until the other dog is gone. And I let the people know she's in heat. Any other tips for walks? I've been going at later times than normal now cause even with prongs on she generally doesn't care. And I don't wanna end up accidentally hurting her neck area with the prongs. She also tends to before her heat started bark and lunge towards other dogs to see them. I'm trying to stop this because I don't want her meeting other dogs like this. A select few people in my area didn't mind, but I find it annoying. Any tips for that or is that just the working line GSD in her?

Hopefully her heat is over shortly. She will be getting spayed in a few months.

·
Registered
13,160 Posts
The hormones could be an issue but not an excuse. It looks like you are putting her in a situation you are both not able to handle well Spaying her will not be a guarantee that things will go back to before her heat. She has practiced undesirable behavior that you probably have to undo. Start at a level you both can handle and go from there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will admit since the warmer weather hit I stopped bringing treats during walks which I'd mark and give as a reward. I'll go back to doing that. It made a difference.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Spay at 18 months, when all the bones have finished growing.
I would try and seek areas with fewer dogs. Not easy, I know.
Bring high value treats, something super good that she only gets on walks, such as dehydrated meat, string cheese cut into tiny cubes, etc.
Practice sitting, focusing on you, and treat.
Jumping and manhandling her every time a dog shows up will only make her more apprehensive toward dogs.

·
Registered
13,160 Posts
Spay at 18 months, when all the bones have finished growing.
I would try and seek areas with fewer dogs. Not easy, I know.
Bring high value treats, something super good that she only gets on walks, such as dehydrated meat, string cheese cut into tiny cubes, etc.
Practice sitting, focusing on you, and treat.
Jumping and manhandling her every time a dog shows up will only make her more apprehensive toward dogs.
Are they done growing at that age? I will have my next female go through a few more heats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts