German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so me and my husband have a 8 month old male German Shepherd pup who is very submissive. Whenever my husband goes near him his ears go back and just starts peeing everywhere. Even if he just looks at him. He's a great gentle dog with this one problem. He will only do it around a man, he's perfectly fine with a woman. Thinking the guy we got him from was abusive..Also he still squats and pees will not lift up his leg. I was wondering if anyone else have this problem. Would neutering him make it worse/better? Will he grow out? Any advise is welcome!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi!

I had a dog who was like that. Yes, she grew out of it. We had to hang in there with her, though, and be careful not to sound mad when she peed. She was always a shy and timid dog, but the submissive peeing stopped.

She did later develop the utterly charming habit -- all on her own -- of coming up to visitors to our home and offering her paw to them. I think it was her more socially acceptable way of telling them "I'm not a threat so don't hurt me." And because people responded so positively to that cute gesture she continued to do it her whole life. She offered her paw to the vet who came to put her to sleep last week. I could tell it got to the vet . . .

If your husband is gentle and kind to the dog, the dog will get over being afraid, I bet. And sometimes putting up with a little pee turns out to be well worth it.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Squatting when they pee has nothing to do with...anything. IME dogs who were never allowed to mark never 'figured out' the leg lifting. None of my males have ever lifted their legs, and some were unaltered. It's not something to worry about. As for whether neutering will help or hurt the timid behavior... the jury's still out on that one for me. There's a zillion different thought camps on that. I have a very soft male who in hindsight, I sometimes wish I'd left intact.

As for submissive peeing, I wouldn't so quickly say "he'll grow out of it." I haven't dealt with a submissive pee-er myself (though my dog was very submissive as a puppy and continues to be as an adult), but I would start with having your husband do the feeding, playing... try hand-feeding, it's a great way to build and strengthen the bond between them. Everything the pup associates with good and fun, should come from your husband for a bit. There are others here who have dealt with this first hand who will have more specific advice. Good luck!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't know anything about the submissive peeing but I do knoe that lifting the leg has to do with marking. Ranger is 11 months old now and he does not lift his leg. That is because I have never allowed him to mark. Form the beginning I did not allow him to pee on things so he doesn't. It really is very nice when we are walking because he does not stop to mark every bush and post he only pees when he needs to pee.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Have your husband ignore the dog at first meeting and then call the dog to him.
Work with him outside if possible and don't over-excite him, be calm and gentle.
Submissive peeing is usually grown out of as confidence and trust builds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts