German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 month old short-hair German Shepherd has devoloped near her rump a patch of flaky skin/loss of hair that's about 5 inches long and 3 inches wide. It runs along her spine almost to her tail, and the hair has a reddish tint to it. Hair is falling out rapidly and a lot of skin flakes show up there. She doesn't seem to be scratching/knawing on it, but she does whine/feel pain if it's rubbed too hard or brushed.

We recenty switched dog food to Blue Buffalo Basic puppy food, which is no grain, chicken, egg, etc. The patch was originally about a 1/3rd of it's current size a week ago.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I recommend taking her to the vet and have them do a skin scrap just to make sure there's no fungal infection, as an example. From there, you can explore more the possible cause. The skin scrap is easy and a good place to start.

I would bet this not food related.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Can you post a pic of the area? Fleas also like to bite their backend. Run a flea comb through her as well, just to make sure there's no fleas. Usually fleas cause crazy itching and you said she's not itching but still worth a check. The site does appear to be very tender to the touch based on what you said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts