German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,649 Posts
Still waiting on blood test results but stool was positive for Giardia.
The flagyl should take care of that.

Is there a reason you’re adding chicken to the prescription kibble? The whole reason for prescription diets is to control exactly what they eat. When you start adding other stuff, even if it’s good, healthy stuff, you’re interfering with that goal.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Flagyl took care of giardia and inflamed intestines. Next time if giardia is active use panacure or 2 weeks of Tylan and then no meds if no symptoms even if the test is positive. Try rebuild his gi system and let the immune system mature and suppress the giardia. It’s there, It will always be. The never ending antibiotic cycle is a vicious cycle that leads to chronic issues, especially metronidazole which is not an innocent drug.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Flagyl took care of giardia and inflamed intestines. Next time if giardia is active use panacure or 2 weeks of Tylan and then no meds if no symptoms even if the test is positive. Try rebuild his gi system and let the immune system mature and suppress the giardia. It’s there, It will always be. The never ending antibiotic cycle is a vicious cycle that leads to chronic issues, especially metronidazole which is not an innocent drug.
Thank you. I wrote down the Tylan on my future list of things to try if needed. What are your best tips for rebuilding GI system and letting immune system mature to fight the giardia? I read online mostly puppies and immunosuppressed dogs have symptoms so I was surprised. The biggest takeaways I’ve gotten so far are a good diet his GI system agrees with and no new foods for a long time, and minimize stressors.

Hmm. He still has giardia? Or was that coccidia that he had when you first brought him home? Or maybe I'm confusing him with another puppy on here that had a rough time in the beginning.
He had coccidia at 2 months old.
Negative stool 1 month later for follow up around 3 months old.
At 6 months had another stool done for diarrhea which was negative.
Now at 8 months with this acute on chronic episode of diarrhea has giardia. They want to repeat stool after treatment.

The flagyl should take care of that.

Is there a reason you’re adding chicken to the prescription kibble? The whole reason for prescription diets is to control exactly what they eat. When you start adding other stuff, even if it’s good, healthy stuff, you’re interfering with that goal.
Vet said it was ok for us to add rice and chicken if needed. We don’t add chicken to every meal or every day just once in awhile if he seems not interested in the food. He mostly eats it without any now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Ok so our final vet update for test results - his CBC, chemistry and GI panel were all normal. no pancreatic insufficiency or anything else. The vet said the stool test in addition to Giardia showed an immature form of hookworm in it. So he wanted to finish the Flagyl and do 2 dewormings, one for the next 3 days and another in 3-4 weeks. He said he recommend this Rx diet for the next 6 weeks and then after that we can try to transition him but he suspects he may have a hard time transitioning and may end up on some sort of combo of half Rx and half another diet which he would be OK with. He didn't have any particular diet recommendation, but told us to look for something with high fiber and whole grain. The diet he's on now is 20%! fiber so he said we won't (and don't need) to find something that high but something higher than average. Fromm's was 5.5% so we may have to ditch Fromm's and try something else.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Your vet's plan sounds reasonable. The thing is, after you finish metro and dewormings, and start transitioning to normal food, there will be times when the poop will not be completely normal, will be soft and you need to survive through that by using natural aids to avoid flare up. I like using Propectalin paste if I think his stomach may be upset, slippery elm sometimes, full packet of fortiflora, probiotics ( I like dogzymes probiotics), a little of raw food for introduction of natural enzymes.

I always have Propectalin tube on hand (not Proviable, my dog I think is allergic to it), when I start one I go and buy another one right away. I went through like 8 or 10 in the first 12 months and then it was it, magic happened lol Meaning the dog is fine, can eat anything, can even pickup some garbage on the walk and still be fine. The GI tract matured and the immune system took over.

I also use interceptor for heartworm/dewormings. And for food I like Acana with grains.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Your vet's plan sounds reasonable. The thing is, after you finish metro and dewormings, and start transitioning to normal food, there will be times when the poop will not be completely normal, will be soft and you need to survive through that by using natural aids to avoid flare up. I like using Propectalin paste if I think his stomach may be upset, slippery elm sometimes, full packet of fortiflora, probiotics ( I like dogzymes probiotics), a little of raw food for introduction of natural enzymes.

I always have Propectalin tube on hand (not Proviable, my dog I think is allergic to it), when I start one I go and buy another one right away. I went through like 8 or 10 in the first 12 months and then it was it, magic happened lol Meaning the dog is fine, can eat anything, can even pickup some garbage on the walk and still be fine. The GI tract matured and the immune system took over.

I also use interceptor for heartworm/dewormings. And for food I like Acana with grains.
Now that you mention interceptor. I wonder is Heartgard also suppose to protect against hookworms? Because we have been giving Chewie heartgard every month since 8 weeks. Should we be using something else other than Heartgard for worms? (We also use Nexgard)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
We finished dewormer round #1. No diarrhea. Still continuing on with the Rx diet, probiotic, digestive supplement. Although we are now cutting down digestive supplement. Still great stools.
First time we implemented very basic limited ingredient treats : the Honest kitchen mussels (literally 1 ingredient mussels) and beams (also 1 ingredient just dehydrated cod fish skin). They’re both high protein but low fat. He tolerated both without diarrhea and liked them! So we can probably try to use these in the future as treats. He also got nexgard heartgard without GI upset.

we are still looking for high fiber food to try to transition to once ready. Haven’t found much yet. Will keep looking.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Alright so we finished the Flagyl one week ago. He got the dewormer two weeks ago. He had two episodes of diarrhea today that look just like the giardia poops he was having. We called the vet to ask what to do next. Sigh.

what is usually the next step for dogs if they persist with giardia after finishing a course of Flagyl? Should we ask about Tylosin?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts