German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been leaving my 8 month old bear downstairs in his crate at night for about 4 weeks now.. He started out whining a bit the first couple nights but then started settling without a peep.

Ever since I started a job 2 weeks ago hes getting progressively worse though, last night he was barking so bad at 12am i had to come down and say something so he didnt wake the neighbors baby! I dont take him out of his crate ever when hes doing this. He hasnt had any accidents.

I'm trying to keep his activity levels as consistent as possible...do i just need to ignore him completely as long as the cops arent called for noise? I feel like I'm going a little nutty with lack of sleep and my patience is really wearing thin, wasn't all this stuff supposed to be over after puppydom haha?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
More exercise:) A tired pup is a happy pup, therefore a happy owner!! Its hard to change routines, but either more exercise or try to let him sleep with you. I think he only wants to be with you anyway, because he don't see you as much anymore,

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I agree with llombardo...
With you having started a new job perhaps he wants to be with you more.

Is he crated while you work as well?

Is there a reason he doesn't have free roam of the house at night...to be closer to you if he wants?

·
Super Moderator
32,038 Posts
Why not put his crate in the bedroom with you? I'll bet that would solve the problem immediately.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not put his crate in the bedroom with you? I'll bet that would solve the problem immediately.

I've been having trouble sleeping with him rocking around in his crate when it was in my room, and I don't trust him to be loose without chewing anything...I tried having him loose for a while and i woke up every 5 min at night thinking he might be in to something.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I've been having trouble sleeping with him rocking around in his crate when it was in my room, and I don't trust him to be loose without chewing anything...I tried having him loose for a while and i woke up every 5 min at night thinking he might be in to something.
And when you woke up every 5 minutes was he getting into anything or looking at you like your were crazy for being up?:)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Does he need a larger crate? Or get some ear plugs :)

Please don't ignore your dog when he's barking or whining. I wouldn't advise otherwise even if he was 8 weeks old, but that's just me. 8 months -- your dog just wants to be with you. Don't ignore that, it's a precious thing :wub:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts