German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so is 71.1 pounds for a male pup that just turned 8 months, normal size? bigger or smaller? What weight do you believe he will get close to when full size? :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hello Pastor,

That is about the mean average, and about 90% of full adult weight. He will be full sized at about 9 months, but depending on exercise (nothing serious til bones harden up, joints harden up at 12 months...) but if he gets a bit of exercise and work he will fill out more with muscle between one and two years old...

Don't worry about weight, he is just on the high side of the averages for that age for a Male. YOU DO NOT WANT FAT, IF ANYTHING A BIT LEAN. You need to protect the softer cartilege of hips and elbows until about 12 months, no jumping in our out of trucks and porches, no extra weight, that sort of thing...

After a year, with work, he could be a bit chunkier and hit 80 or so pounds by two years... I think the Show Standard for Show dogs is 75 lbs... From memory (have two) and Working Dogs can be larger (also have two)...

Lone Ranger, out on the Last Frontier with GSDs and Horses,
doing "Dances with Wolves" as best as possible..

Born 150 years too late... :rofl: When I was a kid my Grandfather said 100 years too late... But that was then... :rolleyes: No longer a kid now at 61... heh he...:sick:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts