German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
I just want to weigh in. I am against prong collars, but I think if the alternatives are fighting with the dog or using a prong collar, use the prong collar. It is essential that the dog see you as a leader, and a leader never, NEVER, fights with the dog. The dog will see someone who is begging for compliance, or struggling for compliance, as weak, and if the dog does not trust the owner to protect them so that they follow them, then everything is so much harder.

By fighting, I do not mean physically harming the dog, but frustration, irritation, all that can eventually lead to losing one's kool with the dog and physically abusing the dog can follow.

I would rather see someone use a correction collar so things do not get to that point.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yes, there are so many variations...

some dogs lean on the front and gasp for air and just pull, pull, pull no matter what (er, can we say, husky? it's a really common husky issue)
and there are the ones that are not quite so determined to pull and can actually be persuaded to walk alongside with bits of hotdog. :)

So it makes sense that dogs would need different levels of "control".

Owners have different level of tolerance, too. Some are more easygoing, and some expect more perfect behavior. ( Just like parenting...a momfriend was telling me that her husband gets really angry if the kids put their elbows on the table at dinner. I've never even looked at my kids' elbows when we eat! )

41 - 42 of 42 Posts