German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He does not like taking bathes.I took him to a small creek and he got in but he wants out right away. I will turn on the sprinkler and he will avoid it as much as he can he trys to stay away from water.Is this normal? Will he ever get used to it?:help:

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
If you want the dog in there its best you go in first. If he sees you having a blast in there hes gonna come in there and see what all the noise is about 9 times outta 10. If you have another dog that loves water you both go in first.

On the bath issue I have a Labrador that loves water will swim all day in a creek or pool and loves sprinklers but hates baths and is not a big fan of rain. It isn't a logical kind of thing either case they are getting wet. It is the associations and the energy and mood they pick up from you that determines how they react to those situations. In the case of rain he sees me avoid being in it since he was a puppy so he doesn't want to go outside in it either because he takes cues from me. If I were to run out in the rain and splash in a puddle and make a giant fun commotion you bet your ass he'd be right in there with me.

To long didn't read: Lead from the front and get your ass wet first. The dog will follow.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My weim used to hate baths, until I put on my shorts and carried her in on a leash with a handful of cheese. We sat in the tub (me on the edge) and shampooed and snacked. After just a few times, she got the cheese only after we were done. Now when I ask her if she wants a bath, she perks up and comes running, because she knows when gets out she gets CHEESE. :D

To get my GSD, Jack, to enjoy his kiddie pool, I took every ball we had and put them in there and climbed in and played and played while he watched until finally he was brave enough to approach. Then I swirled the balls around and out of his reach until he was brave enough to step one foot in to catch one. Repeat until he had two front feet in. Before the evening was out he was lying in the pool lapping up water, and loving it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Can you bring your pup to a watering hole with another dog that does swim? That is the way my 10 month old female GSD learned how to swim. At first, Tess would go in to creeks and streams but would jump out quickly, but as she went more and more and watched the other dogs go in the water, she became curious and wanted to do the same thing....baby steps. Eventually she would go in up to her neck and stand for a few minutes and then run out. Now, she loves the water and doesn't want to come out. She goes way out to fetch a ball and swims like crazy! The next step for Tess is to have her get a running start and leap through the air into the water.

It takes time and small steps; but in my case, it took her watching other dogs swim and have fun in the water. Even try going in yourself as others have suggested, but I find that following what the other dogs did worked best for my Tess.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts