German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy Bozley is great in the house doing any obediance work, but when I take him outside for a walk I can not get him to pay attention to me. Trying everything to get him to stop pulling (stopping, changing directions) but I cant reward him cause he is not interested me or the clicker. I have took him for obedeiance level one where we did loose leash walking and he was great at it....what is going on? any tips for me??

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Leash work in a class is one thing - and congrats to Bozley for doing great there. But leash work outside is a whole new game - Bozley has tuned you out because of all the tempting distractions: smells, rabbits and squirrels, loose dogs, people - that is all fun for Bozley. He doesn't want the treat he wants to hunt. My Sting did the same. So first I worked on satisfying his prey drive with the fetch/tug game as a reward (he needed to end up winning to fulfill his prey drive) after a short heeling walk and obedience session outside. I started in the fenced in backyard when the mailman was coming -big distraction. Since my Sting is a big guy and I am petite, I needed a proper tool - I went with the front ring harness and the Walk In Sync method. The website explains the walking method : Walk In Sync - The Easiest and Most Humane Way to Walk and Train Your Dog - Home

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, the outside is a very exciting and distracting place for our pups. Start small... I started with taking Remy to a quiet spot on our street near the house and training there, once he was good there we moved a little further out. We're still in the process, it takes time but if you are consistent with it it will pay off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts