German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may sound dumb, but every time we sit on the couch no matter what time of day she will nip and bark until we do something (like a walk, outside, play, lay on the floor) etc... I am wondering how we can stop this. Maybe she can just lay on the ground. We give her 4 walks a day and plenty of outside time with toys/dog socialization etc... Is she trying to herd us or something? The nipping is getting really old really quick. Can someone suggest a few solutions before I put the dog up for sale (HAHA)?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
159 Posts
Pushy behavior = dominance = a dog that doesn't understand its rank in your household.
Back to basics...examine the way you live with this dog so he understands what's expected of him.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like tonight for example, she wasn't that bad. But right around 9:15p we sat on the couch and she started to nip and bark. Like she was herding us or wanting to play more... I go on the floor with her and she stops nipping and barking and starts playing. After 20 minutes of playing she started chewing on her bone and then left us alone.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You've, unfortunately, taught her that if she nips and barks, she gets her way.

I have ideas of what you could do, but I'm not sure if I'm right. ;)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
These dogs are very smart and pick up on things very quickly.

I set the rules and display myself as a strong and fair leader. This is a 8 month old pup who has confused his position in your home. Actually, not sure confused is the correct term because you have allowed him to position himself on your couch and sound off when he's ok with people sitting down and when he's not.

Get him off the couch and onto the floor. He does not have that privilege right now. You should not be on the floor with him. Enjoy your sofa minus the 8 month old pup.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think the OP wants to know what he should do when the pup starts to nip and bark. Would a time out work? Keep the pup on a leash for correction?

One thing I think he should do is a bit if obedience training every day to re-establish his, the OP's, role as leader. But what about when the actual infraction occurs? Any tips for him there?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts